IC Testing for Logic Gate Errors

In summary, checking ICs for errors can be done by probing the pins and seeing if the signals make sense. If you have access to a logic analyzer, you can check the signals for errors in real time.
mremadahmed
Hello,IS there any way to check IC [AND NOT OR gate] for errors ? Is there any method for it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
mremadahmed said:
Hello,IS there any way to check IC [AND NOT OR gate] for errors ? Is there any method for it ?

What kind of errors? What is the context of your question?

Have you designed your own logic gates using transistors, and want to check them? Or are you using logic gates in a circuit, and the circuit is not working?

Last edited:
mremadahmed said:

Probe the pins and see if they make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several failure modes for logic gates and without further context for your test, it is hard to provide a more detailed procedure.
That being said, if you have access to a logic analyzer, you can monitor all the inputs and outputs and see in real time the operation.

Common failure modes are:
power supply dips that cause the IC to see a logic level change on the input without there actually being on and changing the output.
Drawing too much current from the output and causing the output to seem to work part of the time.
Input setup and hold times not being met or held correctly for the output to stabilize or hold the output stable.
Static damage that can cause one gate to change randomly or in connection to one of the other gates.
Output overloading on the entire IC. - Some IC's can only tolerate a total output of the chip, so at one point the output (loading; driving other inputs) from all the gates in total from the chip can be limited.
Speed, trying to change inputs too quickly for the output to reflect (propagation time)

The most common problem I have encountered in breadboard setups is power supply connections to the chips if they draw lots of power (the old 74xx stuff, then 74LSxx type stuff) some had significant power requirements and the 5 volts would show rail supply of 3v at the IC during fast switching.

I hope you get the idea that you can probe the input and outputs at static conditions but the device can appear to fail in real (fast) operation. It is not so easy without the proper tools to catch faults. Even older Logic analyzers (my personal HP is 15+ years old) have capture modes that catch glitches quicker than 500 pico seconds. So you really need either a digital scope or logic analyzer to catch some logic faults.

I was having LAb of BCD to XS-3 code conversion and many of the students were facing problems i.e. some of the pins in IC were not working after spending too much time. So i wondered that is there any way to check if IC is short or not ? Because making that circuit is a very time consuming job so one should check it before using it .

Last edited:
if you're in a lab you're probably using a protoboard. If so, swap out the IC! If things are fixed, it was the IC. If not, it's your design and/or wiring. Simple as that.

mremadahmed said:
I was having LAb of BCD to XS-3 code conversion and many of the students were facing problems i.e. some of the pins in IC were not working after spending too much time. So i wondered that is there any way to check if IC is short or not ? Because making that circuit is a very time consuming job so one should check it before using it .

As others have said, trace the signals from inputs-to-output for each logic gate. If the output signal is not doing what it should based on the inputs, the IC may be faulty, or you may have some other problem. Make sure that *all* inputs are connected to something -- either the output of some other logic gate, or tied either high or low with a resistor. Floating inputs to logic gates creates all kinds of problems.

1. What is the purpose of checking IC/logic gates?

The purpose of checking IC/logic gates is to ensure that they are functioning correctly and producing the desired output. It helps identify any potential faults or errors that may affect the performance of the circuit.

2. What tools are used for checking IC/logic gates?

The most common tools used for checking IC/logic gates are a multimeter, logic probe, and oscilloscope. These tools allow for measuring voltage levels, detecting logic states, and analyzing waveforms, respectively.

3. How do you check the functionality of an IC/logic gate?

To check the functionality of an IC/logic gate, you can use a truth table to compare the expected output to the actual output. This can be done manually with a logic probe or automatically with a logic analyzer.

4. What are the common issues that can arise when checking IC/logic gates?

Some common issues that can arise when checking IC/logic gates include incorrect wiring, damaged components, and incorrect logic states. These can be caused by faulty components, improper handling, or incorrect design.

5. Are there any precautions to take when checking IC/logic gates?

Yes, there are a few precautions to take when checking IC/logic gates. It is important to ensure that the circuit is powered off before testing, and to handle components carefully to avoid damage. It is also recommended to have a basic understanding of the circuit design and to use proper safety measures when working with electronic components.