Calculating Current from Solar Panel Voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the amount of current that can be drawn from a solar panel based on its voltage. It also mentions the concept of maximum power point tracking for solar panels.
jabers
Is there a way to determine the amount of current that can be drawn from a solar panel based on the voltage?

Say you have a 100 Watt solar panel. If you measure 24 volts and then later 20 volts can you say anything about the current being produced?

P = IV but if there is no load connected then you are getting the open circuit voltage right?

I want to measure the voltage and say I can power a device that draws say 50 Watts or two devices that draw 30 watts each.I don't mean predict future current just at the instant the voltage is measured.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jabers said:
Is there a way to determine the amount of current that can be drawn from a solar panel based on the voltage?

Say you have a 100 Watt solar panel. If you measure 24 volts and then later 20 volts can you say anything about the current being produced?

P = IV but if there is no load connected then you are getting the open circuit voltage right?

I want to measure the voltage and say I can power a device that draws say 50 Watts or two devices that draw 30 watts each.I don't mean predict future current just at the instant the voltage is measured.

Have you read about "maximum power point" tracking for solar panels?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_power_point_tracking

:smile:

1. What is the formula for calculating current from solar panel voltage?

The formula is I = P/V, where I is the current in amps, P is the power in watts, and V is the voltage in volts.

2. How do I determine the power of my solar panel?

You can determine the power of your solar panel by multiplying the voltage and current values. This can be found on the specifications label of your solar panel or by using a multimeter.

3. Can I calculate current without knowing the voltage?

No, the voltage is a necessary component in the formula for calculating current. It is important to have both values in order to accurately determine the current.

4. Is there a standard voltage for solar panels?

The standard voltage for solar panels can vary depending on the type and size of the panel. However, most solar panels have a voltage range of 12-24 volts.

5. How does temperature affect solar panel voltage and current?

As temperature increases, the voltage of a solar panel decreases, which in turn can decrease the current output. This is due to the nature of the materials used in solar panels, which are affected by changes in temperature.