Back again, Another question about friction

• Thread starter Moomba44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a skater with a mass of 70 kg, initially moving at 10.0 m/s, and then slowing down to 4.0 m/s over a 2.0 second period of time. The question asks for the magnitude of the frictional force on the skater during this time. The conversation also touches on the relationship between acceleration, velocity, and force, and suggests using constant acceleration equations and Newton's second law to solve the problem.
Moomba44
Hey again, once again I have no idea where to start on an equation that I received on a quiz

A 70 kg skater initially moving at 10.0 m/s across the ice drags the rough part of one skate along the ice, slowing herself to 4.0 m/s over a 2.0 s period of time. What is the magnitude (a positive number) of the frictional force on her during the time she is slowing down? [Assume her acceleration is constant.]

I did some models with force diagrams and such on my own, but once again I couldn't really figure out anything from them. If someone could once again point me in the right direction generally on how to go about this I would be extremely greatful. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
1.How can the acceleration be written in terms of the frictional force and the skaters mass?
2. since the acceleration is constant, how does the velocity of the skater vary with time?

Try to calculate the acceleration of the skater from the given initial and final velocities for the 2.0 s interval using your constant acceleration equations. One you've got that the frictional force can be calculated from Newton's second law, since it is this force that caused that particular acceleration.

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the roughness and adhesion of the surfaces.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction slows down the motion of objects by converting kinetic energy into heat energy. It also causes wear and tear on surfaces that are in contact.

3. What factors affect friction?

The factors that affect friction include the roughness and adhesion of the surfaces, the weight of the objects, and the type of material the surfaces are made of.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces. Smoother surfaces can also reduce friction.

5. What are some real-life examples of friction?

Some examples of friction in everyday life include walking on a carpet, rubbing your hands together to generate heat, and using brakes on a bicycle to slow down or stop.