Voltage Required for 10A Through 6 Ohm Light Bulb

• Thread starter jimmy_neutron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the voltage needed for a battery to support 10A of current through a light bulb with resistance 6 Ohms is 60V. Adding a second light bulb in series would decrease the original bulb's brightness because there is still only one source of energy, the battery, powering 2 light bulbs.
jimmy_neutron
My question is this: what voltage must a battery have to support 10A of current trhough a light bulb with resistance 6 Ohms.

Is the answer simply found by: V = R x I ---- V = 6 x 10 = 60V

I believe this is correct.

Part II of my question is if you kept the same battery, but added a second light bulb in series, would the original bulb's brightness increase, decrease, or stay the same.
I believethat the original bulbs brightness would decrease because there is still only one source of energy, the battery, powering 2 light bulbs.

Can someone tell me if I am on the right track. Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct.

Yes, you are on the right track. The voltage required for a 6 ohm light bulb with 10A of current would be 60V, as calculated using Ohm's Law (V = R x I). Adding a second light bulb in series would increase the overall resistance in the circuit, resulting in a decrease in current and therefore a decrease in the brightness of the original bulb. This is because the battery's voltage remains the same, but it is now being divided between two bulbs, resulting in a decrease in the amount of energy available to each bulb.

What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of electrical potential difference, or the amount of electrical energy required to move a unit of electrical charge from one point to another.

What is current?

Current is the rate of flow of electrical charge, measured in amperes (A). It is the amount of charge passing through a point in a circuit per unit of time.

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or device impedes the flow of electrical current. It is measured in ohms (Ω).

How is voltage, current, and resistance related?

According to Ohm's Law, voltage is equal to the product of current and resistance. This can be written as V = I * R. In other words, the higher the resistance, the higher the voltage required to maintain a certain current.

What is the voltage required for a 10A current through a 6 ohm light bulb?

Using Ohm's Law, we can rearrange the formula to solve for voltage: V = I * R. Plugging in the values, we get V = (10A) * (6Ω) = 60V. Therefore, the voltage required for a 10A current through a 6 ohm light bulb is 60 volts.