Advanced Calculus: Frenet Formulas & Radius of Curvature

In summary, Wilfred Kaplan's Advanced Calculus book from 1952 explains how to find the decomposition of the acceleration vector into its normal and tangential components. He also mentions the Frenet formulas and the radius of curvature of a path, which is the reciprocal of the curvature and can be thought of as the radius of the "osculating" circle at a point on a curve. Online resources, such as MathWorld, can provide further understanding of these concepts.
binarybob0001
I'm reading Advanced Calculus by Wilfred Kaplan 1952. He is demonstrating how to find the decomposition of the acceleration vector into its normal and tangential components. I'm following along until he replaces the magnitude of the derivative of the angle with respect to the distance traveled by the particle along the curve with 1/p where p is the radius of curvature of the path. Later in the book, he mentions Frenet formulas. Can anyone explain what these Frenet formulas are about and what he means by radius of curvature of the path? Or did I not supply enough information? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have covered radius of curvature in calculus. It's the reciprocal of the curvature of a path so that your [itex]\frac{1}{\rho}[/itex] is just the curvature itself.

As for the Frenet formulas, you might try this:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FrenetFormulas.html

Well, a community college isn't exactly the best way to learn multivariable calculus. That is why I'm reading this book. Are there any online references that can give me an intuitive understanding of what you are talking about. I still do not know what the radius of curvature is. Thanks.

Here's an intuitive idea:
Think of some (smooth) curve lying in a plane.
At any point of the curve, you may ask:
Which circle will be the best fit of the curve's behaviour at that point?
(This is somewhat analogous to saying that the "tangent" at a point is the best line fit to the curve's behaviour there.)

That circle is called the "osculating" (kissing) circle at the point, and its radius is the radius of curvature at that point.

1. What are the Frenet formulas in advanced calculus?

The Frenet formulas are a set of three equations that describe the behavior of a curve in three-dimensional space. They are used to calculate the curvature, torsion, and other properties of a curve.

2. What is the radius of curvature in advanced calculus?

The radius of curvature is a measure of how sharply a curve bends at a given point. It is defined as the radius of the circle that best approximates the curve at that point.

3. How are the Frenet formulas used in real-world applications?

The Frenet formulas have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to describe the motion of objects, design smooth curves for roads and roller coasters, and generate realistic 3D animations.

4. Can the Frenet formulas be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Frenet formulas can be extended to higher dimensions. In addition to the three-dimensional space, they can also be applied to curves and surfaces in four-dimensional space, which are used in fields like relativity and string theory.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the Frenet formulas?

One common misconception about the Frenet formulas is that they only apply to smooth curves. In reality, they can also be applied to curves with discontinuities or sharp turns. Another misconception is that they are only useful for theoretical purposes, when in fact they have numerous practical applications in various fields.