Can We Simplify the Rotating Energy Sum in Statistical Mechanics?

• Thread starter TheDestroyer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, this sum is a product of two exponential functions and is equal to the real part of the cosh(k ell) function.
TheDestroyer
How to take this sum?

I'm getting this sum in the statistical mechanics for the rotating energy, anyone can help with?
[tex]
Z_r = \sum\limits_{\ell = 0}^\infty {\left( {2\ell + 1} \right)e^{{\textstyle{{T_r } \over T}}\ell \left( {\ell + 1} \right)} }
[/tex]
If tex doesn't work here is it, Where the sum is from 0 to infinity
Z=Sum[(2L+1)exp(-x L(L+1))]

Seems simple lol !

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Question: Is [itex]T_r/T[/itex] positive or negative? If it's positive then your sum diverges. But I'm guessing it's not that simple. :tongue:

Here's an idea:

Break up the [itex]2 \ell +1[/itex] into [itex]\ell + (\ell + 1) \;[/itex]. Then we have:

[tex]Z_\ell = F(\ell) + G(\ell)[/tex]

where

[tex]F(\ell) = \ell \, e^{-k \, \ell(\ell+1)}[/tex]

and

[tex]G(\ell) = (\ell+1) \, e^{-k \, \ell(\ell+1)}[/tex]

then

[tex]G(\ell - 1) = \ell e^{-k \, \ell(\ell-1)}[/tex]

And so

[tex]H(\ell) = F(\ell) \,+\, G(\ell-1)[/tex]
[tex] = \ell [e^{-k \, \ell(\ell+1)} \,+\, e^{-k \, \ell(\ell-1)}] = \ell [e^{-k \, \ell^2 \,-\, k \, \ell} \,+\, e^{-k \, \ell^2 \,+\, k \, \ell}] = \ell e^{-k \, \ell^2}[e^{k \, \ell} \,+\, e^{-k \, \ell}][/tex]
[tex]= 2\ell \, \cosh(k \ell) e^{-k \, \ell^2}[/tex]

So perhaps we can do something along the lines of:

[tex]\sum_{\ell=0}^{\infty} F(\ell)+G(\ell)[/tex]
[tex]= F(0) + [ F(1) + G(0) ] + [ F(2) + G(1) ] + \ldots[/tex]
[tex]= F(0) + \sum_{\ell=1}^{\infty} H(\ell) = 2 \sum_{\ell=1}^{\infty} \ell \, \cosh(k \ell) e^{-k \, \ell^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure how to evaluate this last sum (I might be unnecessarily complicating things further) but I'll throw out some ideas anyhow...

Consider extending the real numbers by adding a number [itex]u[/itex] that is neither [itex]1[/itex] nor [itex]-1[/itex] such that

[tex]u^2 = 1[/tex]

much the same way we extend the real numbers by adding [itex]i[/itex] such that

[tex]i^2 = -1[/tex]

Then for real [itex]t[/itex],

[tex]e^{u t} = \cosh t + u \sinh t[/tex]

This extension of the reals is sometimes called the hyperbolic numbers, or the unipodal numbers.

So this means that

[tex]\cosh(k \ell) e^{-k\, \ell^2}[/tex]

is equal to the real part of

[tex]e^{k\, u\, \ell}e^{-k\, \ell^2} = e^{-k(\ell^2 - u\, \ell)}[/tex]

Then completing the square, we have

[tex](\ell^2 - u\, \ell + \frac{u^2}{4}) - \frac{u^2}{4} = (\ell - \frac{u}{2})^2 - \frac{u^2}{4}[/tex]

But [itex]u^2 = 1[/itex]. Letting [itex]\omega = \ell - u/2[/itex], we get

[tex]e^{-k(\omega^2 - \frac{1}{4})} = e^{\frac{k}{4}}e^{-k\, \omega^2}[/tex]

So then

[tex]\ell \cosh(k \ell) e^{-k\, \ell^2} = e^{\frac{k}{4}}Re[\ell e^{-k(\ell - \frac{u}{2})^2}] = e^{\frac{k}{4}}Re[(\omega + \frac{u}{2})e^{-k\, \omega^2}][/tex]

Anyhow, I'll have to think more about this.

Last edited:
OK - I feel stupid now. I suppose we could just complete the square in the original sum:

[tex](2\ell+1)e^{-k\, \ell(\ell+1)} = (2\ell+1)e^{-k(\ell^2 + \ell + \frac{1}{4})+\frac{k}{4}} = (2\ell+1)e^{\frac{k}{4}}e^{-k(\ell+\frac{1}{2})^2}[/tex]

Then letting [itex]\lambda = \ell + 1/2[/itex] we have:

[tex]2\lambda \, e^{\frac{k}{4}}e^{-k\, \lambda^2}[/tex]

We should be able to evaluate this sum now, no?

kryptyk said:
We should be able to evaluate this sum now, no?

I'm afraid not. It is quite unfortunate that we don't have closed form expressions for Gaussian sums. The most direct way to estimate its value would be to approximate it with an integral. You might also be able to make a more systematic attack by making use of the Euler-MacLaurin formula.

1. What is the first step in taking a sum?

The first step in taking a sum is to identify the numbers that are being added together.

2. How do you add numbers with different signs?

To add numbers with different signs, subtract the smaller number from the larger number and keep the sign of the larger number.

3. Is there a specific order in which numbers should be added?

Yes, numbers should be added from left to right, starting with the numbers in the parentheses or brackets first, then moving on to any multiplication or division, and finally, adding the remaining numbers.

4. What should be done if there are decimals in the numbers being added?

If there are decimals in the numbers being added, line up the decimals and add as usual. If needed, add zeros to the end of the numbers to make the decimals line up.

5. Can the order of numbers be changed when adding?

Yes, the order of numbers can be changed when adding. This is known as the commutative property of addition, which states that the order in which numbers are added does not change the sum. However, the grouping of numbers within parentheses or brackets should not be changed.