When Do Math Majors Learn to Master Proofs in Analysis?

• Programs
  • Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
In summary, math majors typically learn how to do proofs in their first few years of college, with courses such as Analysis, Advanced Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Abstract Algebra being common places for students to encounter proofs. However, some students may have been introduced to proofs in high school geometry classes. The key to mastering proofs is to not give up and to keep practicing and trying, as it is the process of figuring out the proof that truly teaches one how to do them.
courtrigrad
When do math majors learn to do proofs? Do they usually learn how to do them in Analysis?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still in high school, but I've been taking math classes at a local college for a while and in their math department they have an introduction to proofs class which is a prerequisite for most of the higher level classes that involve proofs.

courtrigrad said:
When do math majors learn to do proofs? Do they usually learn how to do them in Analysis?
If by analysis you mean advanced calculus then yes that was my first experience with harder proofs. I had seen proofs before in a course in logic and in a course in discrete mathematics, but it was still a big step up. Some people see them first in algebra, or maybe linear algebra, it depends what you take.

The more proof based courses you take, the easier it becomes to write proofs, and the easier it becomes to learn new math you haven't seen before. I think the courses that teach you how to do proofs teach you basic techniques like what to assume and what to show. So they prepare you in a sense, but once you start taking harder courses where all you do is prove results, it's still going to be a lot of work. The trick to do well in a proof based course is to not give up, you're going to get stuck, everyone does. A lot of people work on a problem and if they can't get it done in 20 minutes they give up, that's not how you learn. Sometimes it helps to step away and come back to it later, but you should give it your best effort everytime you approach it(if you have the time to of course). You have to keep trying, it's the "figuring the proof out" part that teaches you how to do proofs.

Er, there are math courses for math majors which don't involve at least some proof writing?

ircdan said:
The trick to do well in a proof based course is to not give up, you're going to get stuck, everyone does. A lot of people work on a problem and if they can't get it done in 20 minutes they give up, that's not how you learn. Sometimes it helps to step away and come back to it later, but you should give it your best effort everytime you approach it(if you have the time to of course). You have to keep trying, it's the "figuring the proof out" part that teaches you how to do proofs.
Yeah - the proof writing stuff just sinks in after a while.

A bit like Complex Analysis - hardly anyone understands the first few lectures - a few :wink: can grasp it by the end...

courtrigrad said:
i would say in the first lecture, after some introductions and definitions you get straight to the proofs.
anyway, you I am quite sure you met proofs already in high school, at least in geometry classes

J77 said:
Yeah - the proof writing stuff just sinks in after a while.
I think the technical term for this is "by osmosis" :biggrin:

We first learned proofs in "Introduction to Real Analysis" in Second Year.

as soon as possible. they used to elarn them in high school geometry from euclidean geometry. unfortunately this went out when teqchers decided stupoidly that proofs were too hard for sonme of their stduents and in order to keep the cousre democratic, they tried to make it easier so there would be no differenbce in the performance of smart and stupid students. makes sense huh? they lowoer the basket for weak basketball players righta? no? geee, whaTS UP THERE?anyway, get a book with prof in it and start readint them and elarning how to do them. i used principles of mathematics by allendoerfer and oakley, and klater what is amhematics by courant and robbins, and diif and integral calculus by courant, and many other books.read my algebra book or my baby algebra book, all free online on my website, but start now. you cab do it, you are smart, it is the etachers that watered down the subject, not the students.

I learned some proof working in geometry class, but the importance and depth was completely absent from the unit, everyone I knew at the time just found them to be an annoying little subject with no purpose.

you learn geometry in school without proving theorems?!

The first time I started doing proofs regularly in any class was when I took upper division linear algebra (Math 110 @ UC Berkeley). Pretty much almost all the homework problems I did had to do with proving stuff and it hasn't changed too much ever since. My introduction to Analysis class (Math 104) has plenty of it, as well as my Elementary Abstract Algebra class (Math 113).

However, when it came to doing proofs here or there, that started way back (my 10th grade teacher was a nut! but I thank him for the early-start). My discrete math class (math 55) in college had a good chunk of proof-writing as well.

I was introduced proofs during high school in Geometry. I didn't think much of them at the time. When I took Calc 1 in college, that is when they started to be forced on me. My Professor would make use prove certain facts with theorems we learned and should know. It was difficult for me because I couldn't remember any of the theorems, but after a while, it became easier.

mathwonk said:
as soon as possible. they used to elarn them in high school geometry from euclidean geometry. unfortunately this went out when teqchers decided stupoidly that proofs were too hard for sonme of their stduents and in order to keep the cousre democratic, they tried to make it easier so there would be no differenbce in the performance of smart and stupid students. makes sense huh? they lowoer the basket for weak basketball players righta? no? geee, whaTS UP THERE?

That's a major fallacy. I live in Canada and EVERY math or physics teacher i talked to have wanted to bring back proofs in mathematics. It's the school board that decides all this and they decided to take proofs out.

Well that's because you live in Canada. Mathwonk is an American mathematician, so in all likelihood he was discussing in the context of the American mathematics education system. Of course he was making a generalization, but you probably also know how the American education system fares compared to others, so I wouldn't say he committed any fallacies.

But then again Mathwonk has long since left the forums, and this is a almost 4 year old thread, so what the hell.

lol at m-m-m-m-mmmmonster bump

and if anyone still cares, there were some proofs in calc 1&2 and linear algebra, but we weren't expected to derive them ourselves usually or do our own proofs. That started in real analysis.

Ooops sortry guys. I was browsing threads at the bottom of the pages under "quick reply"

1. When do math majors typically start learning proofs in analysis?

Most math majors begin learning proofs in analysis during their second or third year of undergraduate studies. This is typically after they have completed introductory courses in calculus and linear algebra.

2. How long does it take for math majors to master proofs in analysis?

The time it takes for math majors to master proofs in analysis can vary depending on the individual and the rigor of the program. However, on average, it can take 1-2 years of dedicated study and practice to become proficient in proofs in analysis.

3. What are the key concepts and skills that math majors need to master in order to excel at proofs in analysis?

Some key concepts and skills that math majors need to master include logic and reasoning, understanding of mathematical definitions and notation, familiarity with basic proof techniques, and the ability to think abstractly and critically.

4. Are there any resources or strategies that can help math majors learn proofs in analysis more effectively?

Yes, there are many resources and strategies that can aid in learning proofs in analysis. Some examples include working through practice problems, discussing proofs with peers and professors, attending study groups or workshops, and seeking out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

5. How does learning proofs in analysis benefit math majors in their future studies or careers?

Learning proofs in analysis is essential for math majors as it teaches them the fundamental skills of mathematical thinking and problem-solving. These skills are transferable to many other areas of mathematics and can also be applied in various careers such as data analysis, finance, and computer science.