What Is the Role of Epoxy in the Structure of a 3D Phononic Crystal?

• Thread starter germaine
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a 3D phononic crystal made up of lead spherical inclusions on a face-centered cubic lattice, embedded in an epoxy matrix. The problem mentioned is understanding the position of the lead inclusions and the relationship of the epoxy matrix to the lattice. The concept of a phononic crystal is to create a lattice of variations in density and elastic modulus, with the specific example being arranged in a chunk of epoxy with an FCC lattice. It is suggested that the process for creating this structure may involve arranging tiny lead balls in a close-packed structure and then filling the gaps with an epoxy resin.
germaine
the description :
"in 3D phononic crystal constitued of lead spherical inclusions on a face-centered cubic lattice embidded in an epoxy matrix"

The problem i don't understand:the position of the lead spherical inclusions.
What is the epoxy matrix, is it relative to the fcc lattice ?

Do I describe my question clearly?
Thank you...

Physics news on Phys.org
lead sheres in a surrounding marix: think of spheres in jello in a regular array.

germaine said:
the description :
"in 3D phononic crystal constitued of lead spherical inclusions on a face-centered cubic lattice embidded in an epoxy matrix"

The problem i don't understand:the position of the lead spherical inclusions.
What is the epoxy matrix, is it relative to the fcc lattice ?

Do I describe my question clearly?
Thank you...
No, you have not described your question clearly!
1. Where is this quote taken from?
2. What is the complete context?

The idea behind a phononic crystal is to create a (Bravais) lattice of variations in density and elastic modulus. Your particular lattice (Chandra, et al) is made up of spherical Pb inclusions which are arranged periodically in a chunk of epoxy. The positions of the spheres make up an FCC lattice. I imagine (and this is nothing more than a guess) you could start with a bunch of tiny Pb balls, which you first arrange in a close-packed structure, and then fill the spaces between the balls with an epoxy resin that can be cured afterwards.

What is the purpose of seeing the description?

The purpose of seeing the description is to gain a better understanding of the subject or object in question. A description provides details and information that can help clarify and explain the characteristics, features, or functions of something.

How can I see the description?

The description can be seen by reading or listening to someone else's explanation or by observing the subject or object directly. In some cases, a description may also be written or provided in a document or online source.

Why is it important to see the description?

Seeing the description is important because it allows us to gather information and knowledge about the subject or object. This can help us make informed decisions, understand how something works, or communicate effectively with others.

What are the different types of descriptions?

There are various types of descriptions, including physical descriptions (describing the appearance of something), functional descriptions (describing the purpose or function of something), and technical descriptions (detailing the specifications or components of something).

How can I improve my ability to see and understand descriptions?

Improving your ability to see and understand descriptions can be achieved through practice and active listening or observation. It can also be helpful to ask questions, take notes, and seek clarification if needed.