Where is contact made during collisions?

In summary, collision is the physical interaction between two objects that results in a change in energy or motion for one or both objects. Friction, a force that resists motion between two surfaces, can impact the outcome of a collision. Multiple factors, such as mass, velocity, and materials, can influence collisions. Collisions can be perfectly elastic, with no energy lost, but most collisions involve some energy loss. Contact force, the force between two objects in contact, plays a significant role in determining the outcome of a collision.
francirp
If two objects collide with each other, where is contact actually made? This question confuses me because even at the atomic level (two atoms colliding) where is contact made? P.s. i hope I'm in the right section of the forum

Physics news on Phys.org
the collision impulse between the atoms is because of the electormagnetic repulsive forces between them.

ahh i see, thank you.

1. What is Collision?

Collision is the interaction between two objects in which they come into physical contact with each other. This can result in an exchange of energy or a change in direction or motion for one or both objects.

2. How does Friction affect collisions?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. When two objects collide, the friction between them can either increase or decrease the impact of the collision depending on the direction and magnitude of the forces involved.

3. What factors influence the outcome of a collision?

The outcome of a collision can be affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the objects involved, the type of materials they are made of, and the angles at which they collide.

4. Can collisions be perfectly elastic?

Yes, collisions can be perfectly elastic, meaning that no energy is lost during the collision and the objects involved bounce off each other with the same speed and direction as before the collision. However, most collisions are not perfectly elastic and some energy is usually lost in the form of heat or sound.

5. How is contact force related to collisions?

Contact force refers to the force that acts between two objects in contact with each other. In collisions, the contact force between the two objects can play a crucial role in determining the outcome of the collision, such as whether the objects will stick together or bounce off each other.