How Does Current Flow Through a 9V Battery in Different Circuit Configurations?

In summary, the current through the 9.0 V battery in the closed circuit can be found by using Kirchhoff's loop rule to find the current in each loop and adding them together. The current in the left loop is 1 A and the current in the right loop is 0.6667 A, giving a total current of 1.6667 A going through the 4 ohm resistor. Then, using Kirchhoff's junction rule, we can find the current going through the 9.0 V battery by setting the sum of the currents equal to 0 and solving for the unknown current, which turns out to be 0.3333 A. Therefore, the total current going through the 9.
deenuh20

Homework Statement

Two batteries and three resistors are connected as shown in the figure. How much current flows through the 9.0 V battery?

(a) When the switch is closed?
(b) When the switch is open?

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Loop Rule
I=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the current when the circuit is open, I totally disregarded the 5 ohm resistor and found the equivalent resistors of 2 and 4 and got 6. Then I used the equation I=9V/6 and that didn't work.

For the current when the circuit is closed, I applied Kirchhoff's Loop rule and found the current for each loop then solved by adding the two. That didn't work so I redrew the diagram and placed the 5 ohm resistor between the 2 and 4 ohm resistor and tried to figure out the current of that loop, but it also didn't work.

Additionally, does the 6 V battery in the drawing have anything to do with achieving the correct answer?

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Circuit.jpg
    Circuit.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 1,332
Physics news on Phys.org
I was able to figure out the current for the open circuit, and it turned out to be 0.5 A. However, I'm still having trouble getting the answer for the closed circuit.

deenuh20 said:
I was able to figure out the current for the open circuit, and it turned out to be 0.5 A. However, I'm still having trouble getting the answer for the closed circuit.

Show your work in order to get help.

For the open circuit, I found it to by 0.5A by taking the voltage/resistance, which was 6/(2+4)=1 A. Then, because the 2 ohm and 4 ohm resistors are parallel to each other, I divided 1 A by 2 and got 0.5A as my answer for the open circuit.

For the closed circuit, I applied Kirchhoff's rule. Because there was a junction right above the 9V, I found the current of the left square, which was 6V/(4ohm+2ohm)=1 A. Then, for the right square, I found the current of that loop to be 6V/(4 ohm + 5 ohm)=0.6667 A.

Then, because of Kirchhoff's junction rule, I1-I2-I3=0, so, I did 1-0.6667-I3=0 and solved for I3, which turned out to be 0.3333 A. I got this answer as the current going through the 9V battery in the closed circuit, but it is not working.

deenuh20 said:
For the open circuit, I found it to by 0.5A by taking the voltage/resistance, which was 6/(2+4)=1 A. Then, because the 2 ohm and 4 ohm resistors are parallel to each other, I divided 1 A by 2 and got 0.5A as my answer for the open circuit.
You got the right answer with a faulty reasoning. The 2 ohm and 4 ohm are in series and not in parallel.
When applying KVL to the loop you must take into account both voltage sources and add them algebrically.
For the closed circuit, I applied Kirchhoff's rule. Because there was a junction right above the 9V, I found the current of the left square, which was 6V/(4ohm+2ohm)=1 A. Then, for the right square, I found the current of that loop to be 6V/(4 ohm + 5 ohm)=0.6667 A.

Then, because of Kirchhoff's junction rule, I1-I2-I3=0, so, I did 1-0.6667-I3=0 and solved for I3, which turned out to be 0.3333 A. I got this answer as the current going through the 9V battery in the closed circuit, but it is not working.

Again, your reasoning is faulty. You must take into account both voltage sources and remember that the 4 ohm resistor belongs to both loops, so there are two currents traversing it.

1. What is the difference between a closed and open DC circuit?

A closed DC circuit is one in which the current flows continuously in a loop, while an open DC circuit is one in which the circuit is broken and the current cannot flow. In an open circuit, there is a gap in the circuit that prevents the flow of electricity, while in a closed circuit, the gap is bridged by a conducting material.

2. How do you determine whether a circuit is open or closed?

To determine if a circuit is open or closed, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage across the circuit. If there is a voltage reading, the circuit is closed. If there is no voltage reading, the circuit is open.

3. Can a closed circuit become an open circuit?

Yes, a closed circuit can become an open circuit if there is a break in the circuit, such as a broken wire or a disconnected component. This break will prevent the flow of electricity and turn the closed circuit into an open one.

4. What are the advantages of using a closed DC circuit?

A closed DC circuit allows for a continuous flow of electricity, which is necessary for many electrical devices to function properly. It also allows for the use of switches and other components to control the flow of electricity and power different parts of the circuit.

5. How can you troubleshoot an open DC circuit?

To troubleshoot an open DC circuit, you should check for any breaks or disconnected components. You can also use a multimeter to test for continuity and identify where the circuit is broken. Once the break is identified, you can repair or replace the damaged component to restore the circuit to a closed state.