Not really Laplace's Equation?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a partial differential equation that resembles Laplace's Equation but has a non-zero term on the right hand side. Various methods of solving the equation are suggested, including using integral transforms or Green's functions, as well as trying different tricks to find a solution that satisfies the equation. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering boundary conditions in the solution process.
jhuleea
Not really Laplace's Equation??

Hi all!

I've been out of school for awhile and so, some of my engineering math is still rusty. While working out a fluids problem, I got stuck on the following PDE:

[tex]Y''(y)}Z(z)+Y(y)Z''(z)=-1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{Y''(y)}{Y(y)}+\frac{Z''(z)}{Z(z)}=-\frac{1}{Y(y)Z(z)}[/tex]

I know that my equation looks similar to Laplace's Equation:
[tex]Y''(y)}Z(z)+Y(y)Z''(z)=0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{Y''(y)}{Y(y)}=-\frac{Z''(z)}{Z(z)}[/tex]

But since the right hand term in my equation is nonzero, I don't think I can solve it the same way as I would with Laplace's Equation.

Can someone please help me? Your guidance is appreciated! =)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you can't solve that with separation of variables. You might be able to solve it using some sort of integral transform like a Fourier or Laplace transform. Calculating a Green's function might also work. Otherwise, you can always try some tricks to get some sort of solution that will at least satisfy the PDE (though maybe not the boundary conditions).

For instance,

[tex]\phi_{xx} + \phi_{yy} = -1[/tex]

reminds me of [itex] \cosh^2(x) - \sinh^2(x) = 1[/itex], so I would then guess that

[tex]\phi_{xx} = \sinh^2(x)[/tex]
[tex]\phi_{yy} = -\cosh^2(x)[/tex]

and solve.

If I did it correctly this time, the solution should be

[tex]\phi(x,y) = \frac{1}{8}\cosh(2x) + \frac{1}{4}\cosh^2(y) + \frac{1}{4}(y^2 - x^2) + C[/tex]

with C an arbitrary constant. Because x and y are symmetric, switching x and y also gives you a valid solution. Of course, this might not satisfy your boundary conditions, and so although it solves the PDE (provided I made no mistakes), its failure to satisfy the boundary condtions probably makes it not the solution you're looking for.

Last edited:
He seems to be trying to solve:

[tex]\nabla^2 U(y,z) +1=0[/tex]

Where Y(y) and Z(z) are single variable and real valued functions?
Since you have interchangable functions and symmetric derivative function forms you may want to consider playing with symmetric substitution like:

[tex]V(y,z)=U(y,z)+ \frac{1}{4}(y^2+z^2)[/tex]

Then your PDE is reduced to :

[tex]\nabla^2 V(y,z)=0[/tex].

You are in the saddle,becouse you sound like you know how to deal
with Laplace equation.Only problem left is that innital & boundary conditions ,as Mute indicated,must be seriously taken care of in the process of solving (and that depends ,in turn, on the nature of your problem ).

Last edited:

1. What is Laplace's Equation?

Laplace's equation is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between the second derivatives of a function in two or more independent variables. It is named after mathematician and astronomer Pierre-Simon Laplace.

2. How does Laplace's Equation differ from other equations?

Laplace's equation is unique because it is a linear differential equation, meaning it can be solved using the principle of superposition. This makes it useful in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics.

3. What is meant by "Not really Laplace's Equation"?

There are many variations and approximations of Laplace's equation that are used in different contexts. These equations may have similarities to Laplace's equation, but are not exactly the same and may have different applications.

4. What are some examples of "Not really Laplace's Equation"?

Some common examples include Poisson's equation, Helmholtz's equation, and the heat equation. These equations all have similar forms to Laplace's equation, but include additional terms and boundary conditions that make them distinct.

5. How is "Not really Laplace's Equation" used in science?

"Not really Laplace's equation" is used in a variety of scientific fields, including electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer. These equations are used to model physical systems and can be solved using various techniques, such as separation of variables and Green's function methods.