Replacement Plunger: Try a Bottle

• Thread starter Dissident Dan
  • Start date
In summary, the toilet was overflowing the other day, and I didn't have a plunger. Water was spilling out over the sides, so I grabbed an empty bottle to fill with water in the hope of lowering the water level in the toilet. Within a few seconds of submerging the bottle's opening in the toilet, the toilet flushed...bad-arse!
Dissident Dan
The toilet was overflowing the other day, and I didn't have a plunger. Water was spilling out over the sides, so I grabbed an empty bottle to fill with water in the hope of lowering the water level in the toilet. Within a few seconds of submerging the bottle's opening in the toilet, the toilet flushed...bad-arse!

It could be a coincidence, but it seems to me that the bottle filling with water caused a vacuum effect, much like a plunger, jostling the clog and allowing the toilet to flush. So if you are ever in dire need of a nonexistant plumber, try a bottle (or, really, any sort of container, I suppose).

Physics news on Phys.org
Any chance you were naked and screamed eureka as the toilet flushed?

Thanks.

I'll keep that in mind. It just might come in handy some day.

Don't forget there is a shut off valve down behind the toilet and you can shut off the water to stop the overflow when there is a clog. (if you act quickly)

So, which direction was the opening of the bottle pointed?

Originally posted by Evo
Don't forget there is a shut off valve down behind the toilet and you can shut off the water to stop the overflow when there is a clog. (if you act quickly)

Typically, the shut-off valve acts to keep the tank from filling. Unless the toilet is malfunctioning, or you want to keep someone from flushing by accident, it's useless for preventing overflows.

Regarding the lack of plungers - if you pour a caustic chemical - like bleach or coca cola - into the toilet, then it can often disolve the clog quite nicely. If the clog is not a complete blockage, then the slow flow of water will usually eventually loosen it.

Evo said:

Away from me!

I had it pretty horizontally oriented, the the opening half below, half above the water level. If my hypoethesis is correct, as long as you don't put it in opening down (in which case the trapped air would not permit water to enter), it should work.

Away from me! That's funny.

Did you know that if your poop floats you have too much fat in your diet.

1. What is a replacement plunger?

A replacement plunger is a tool used for unclogging drains, toilets, and other plumbing fixtures. It consists of a rubber suction cup attached to a handle, which creates a vacuum to remove blockages.

2. How do I know if I need a replacement plunger?

If your plunger is old, cracked, or not creating a proper seal, it may be time for a replacement. Additionally, if you are experiencing frequent clogs or backups in your plumbing, a replacement plunger may be necessary.

3. Can I use any bottle as a replacement plunger?

No, not all bottles are suitable for use as a plunger replacement. It is important to use a bottle with a narrow neck and a flat bottom, such as a soda or water bottle. This will create a better seal and increase the effectiveness of the plunger.

4. How do I use a bottle as a replacement plunger?

First, fill the bottle with hot water to create pressure. Then, place the bottle over the drain or toilet opening and push down firmly to create a seal. Finally, pull up and down in a quick motion to create suction and dislodge the blockage.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a bottle as a replacement plunger?

Yes, it is important to wear gloves and protective eyewear when using a bottle as a plunger to avoid any potential splashing or contact with bacteria. It is also important to properly dispose of the bottle after use to prevent any contamination or spreading of germs.