Calculating Torque and Rate of Turn in Snowboarding

In summary, To calculate the rate at which an object turns, you can use the equation \Sigma\tau = I\alpha, which relates torque to rotational acceleration. This can then be used to solve for the angular displacement using the formula \Delta\theta = \omega t + 1/2[\Sigma\tau/I] t^2. It is also reasonable to assume that the torque will distribute itself uniformly on a snowboarder. The various methods of turning on a snowboard include twisting at the waist, shifting weight, and leaning on the edges of the board.
Mash
Ok, So if i calculate the torque on an object, how do i then find out the rate at which that object turns?

Physics news on Phys.org
Given the torque (and the rotational inertia) you can calculate the angular acceleration. The rest is kinematics.

Ok, so this is for a snowboarding game..

What would be an approximate rotational intertia for a snowboader? His mass in the game is 75kg's.

Or how would I go about working out what his rotational intertia would be? I guess it would depend on the position of your arms and things wouldn't it.

Could I just approximate the snowboarder to be a solid cylinder or something?

Mash said:
Could I just approximate the snowboarder to be a solid cylinder or something?
that sounds appropriate to me.

hm..

Mash said:
Ok, So if i calculate the torque on an object, how do i then find out the rate at which that object turns?

Well, there's a list of equations in physics that explain rotational motion:

[tex]\Sigma\tau = I\alpha[/tex]

Which allows you to relate torque to rotational acceleration. Then you can do the algebra to solve for, and calculus to integrate, the formula to get, in essence:

[tex]\Delta\theta = \omega t + 1/2[\Sigma\tau/I] t^2[/tex]

But also, yes, it is reasonable to assume that the torque will distribute itself in a uniform way on the skier.

The way a snowboarder turns is complicated. A person can twist his body at the waist causing the snowboard to yaw (a similar method is used for unicycles). A person can shift weight on the board front to back and also inwards and outwards with the twist at the waist method to create a lean. A person can also just hop and yaw the snowboard. Leaning on the edges of the snowboard will cause it to turn.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

What are the units of torque?

The units of torque are typically expressed as newton-meters (Nm) in the metric system or foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

How does the angle turned affect torque?

The angle turned does not directly affect torque. However, the force applied to an object at different angles can result in different amounts of torque. For example, if you push a door from the side versus pushing it straight on, the amount of torque applied will be different.

What is the relationship between torque and rotational speed?

Torque and rotational speed are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as torque increases, rotational speed decreases, and vice versa.

How is torque used in real-life applications?

Torque is used in many real-life applications, such as car engines, bicycle pedals, and door hinges. It is also important in the construction of buildings and bridges, as engineers need to consider torque when designing stable structures.