Prove 2 Limits Questions with Definition 2.4.1

• Thread starter uchihajeff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: Rightarrow |f(x) - b| < \epsilon. :)Yup, as pardesi has pointed out, you should re-arrange the expression, so that you could obtain:|f(x) - b| < ... < k |x - a| < epsilon (where k is any constant, this is the tricky part, you should find the appropriate k)~~~> |x - a| < epsilon / kSo we can choose delta to be (epsilon / k), so, for:x : 0 < |x - a| < \delta =
uchihajeff

Homework Statement

Use Definition 2.4.1 to prove that the stated limit is correct.

Definition 2.4.1 in my book is:

lim as x->a of f(x) = L

if given any number e(epsilon)>0 we can find a number d(delta)>0 such that

|f(x)-L|<e if 0<|x-a|<d​

Homework Equations

Question 31. lim as x>-2 of 1/(x+1) = -1
Question 33. lim as x>4 of sqrt(x) = 2

The Attempt at a Solution

31. |1/(x+1) + 1|<e, 0<|x+2|<d
|(x+2)/(x+1)|<e
set d<=1
-1<x+2<1, -2<x+1<0
|x+1|<0
|x+2|< e * |x+1|
...then I get stuck

32. |sqrt(x)-2|<e, 0<x-4<d
sqrt(x)<e-2
x<(e-2)^2
x-4<(e-2)^2-4
...by here I'm probably already wrong
d=(e-2)^2-4

4. The answers in the back of the book
31) d=min(1,e/(1+e))
33) d=2e

P.S. Sorry, I don't know how to use Latex or whatever mathematical typing system you guys use here, so it's a little messy/unreadable.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
well one of the best way and probably only way to prove limits using the absic definition is to do like thsi

suppose i need to prove

[tex] \lim _{x/to/a} f(x)= b[/tex]
that means i have to prove for every positive real number [tex]\epsilon[/tex] there exists a positive [tex]delta[/tex] such that

[tex] |f(x)-b| < \epsilon[/tex] for all real x satisfying [tex]|x-a| < \delta [/tex]

for a moment assume that there exists a x such that
[tex] |f(x)-b| < \epsilon[/tex]
manipulate such that u reach a stage where [tex] k|x-a| < \epsilon[/tex]
for some constant k then ur [tex]\delta [/tex] is
[tex]k\epsilon[/tex]
here the best way i would prefer is u looking into the proof of the fact that
[tex]\lim_{x \to a} \frac{f}{g}=\frac{\lim_{ x \to a} f}{\lim_{x \to a} g}[/tex]...
and similarly for the second part
[tex]\lim_{x \to a} f^{\frac{1}{n}}={\lim f }^{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]...

uchihajeff said:
-1<x+2<1, -2<x+1<0
|x+1|<0

|x+2|< e * |x+1|

This part is wrong, you are taking the absolute value of x + 1, and you have -2 < x + 1 < 0, you should have 0 < |x + 1| < 2, not |x + 1| < 0

pardesi said:
[tex] |f(x)-b| < \epsilon[/tex] for all real x satisfying [tex]|x-a| < \delta [/tex]

Well, nope, x cannot be a, you should add '0 <' part in front of it, like this:
[tex]0 < |x - a| < \delta \Rightarrow |f(x) - b| < \epsilon[/tex]. :)

Yup, as pardesi has pointed out, you should re-arrange the expression, so that you could obtain:
|f(x) - b| < ... < k |x - a| < epsilon (where k is any constant, this is the tricky part, you should find the appropriate k)
~~~> |x - a| < epsilon / k

So we can choose delta to be (epsilon / k), so, for:
[tex]x : 0 < |x - a| < \delta = \frac{\epsilon}{k} \Rightarrow |f(x) - b| < ... < k |x - a| < k \epsilon < k \times \frac{\epsilon}{k} = \epsilon[/tex] as required.

---------------------------------

I'll help you do the first problem, and give you some hints for the seconds one, they are pretty much the same. :)

Problem 1:
Prove:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow -2} \frac{1}{x + 1} = -1[/tex]

So, we'll start here:
[tex]\left| \frac{1}{x + 1} + 1 \right| = \left| \frac{x + 2}{x + 1} \right| = \textcolor{blue}{\left| \frac{1}{x + 1} \right|} \textcolor{red}{|x + 2|}[/tex].

Now, we will obtain the k from the blue part. We will find out the maximum value for |1 / (x+1)|, and assign k to be that value.

To find the maximum value for |1 / (x+1)|, we'll make the restriction:
[tex]\textcolor{green} {0 < |x + 2| < \delta \leq 0.5} \Rightarrow 0 < |x + 2| < 0.5 \Rightarrow -0.5 < x + 2 < 0.5[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow -1.5 < x + 1 < -0.5 \Rightarrow 0.5 < |x + 1| < 1.5 \Rightarrow \frac{2}{3} < \frac{1}{|x + 1|} < 2[/tex].

Ok, so we have:
[tex]\left| \frac{1}{x + 1} + 1 \right| = \textcolor{blue}{\left| \frac{1}{x + 1} \right|} \textcolor{red}{|x + 2|} < \textcolor{blue}{2} \textcolor{red}{|x + 2|}[/tex], ok, so we choose:

[tex]\delta = \mbox{min} \left( 0.5 , \frac{\epsilon}{2} \right)[/tex].

I think your textbook's answer is, somehow, mistyped.

Ok, let's think about it, in the green part above (I mean, the restriction part), why didn't I choose: [tex]0 < |x + 2| < \delta \leq 1[/tex]? I didn't choose 1, that's not appropriate in this case. Can you see why?

--------------------------------------

So, now, hint for second problem. :)

We must rearrange the expression to give k |x - a|, i.e, we must have |x - a| in our expression, so, multiply by its conjugate, we obtain.

[tex]|\sqrt{x} - 2| = \frac{\textcolor{red}{|x - 2|}}{\textcolor{blue}{| \sqrt{x} + 2 |}}[/tex]

Can you go from here? :)

--------------------------------------

EDIT: I have corrected the last LaTeX code for like 3 times, but it still shows the wrong image. >"<

Ok, now, LaTeX seems to work normally again. ^.^

Last edited:
VietDao29 said:
Well, nope, x cannot be a, you should add '0 <' part in front of it, like this:
well it is not necessary that x be b but there is no problem if it hiolds true for b infact then it becomes continious at that point:smile:

1. What is Definition 2.4.1?

Definition 2.4.1 is a mathematical concept that defines the limit of a function at a given point. It states that the limit exists at a point if the values of the function approach a single value as the input values get closer and closer to the given point.

2. How do you prove a limit using Definition 2.4.1?

To prove a limit using Definition 2.4.1, you must show that the values of the function approach a single value as the input values get closer and closer to the given point. This can be done by using algebraic manipulation or specific limit theorems.

3. What is the difference between a left-sided and a right-sided limit?

A left-sided limit refers to the limit of a function as the input values approach the given point from the left side, while a right-sided limit refers to the limit as the input values approach from the right side. The two limits may have different values, indicating that the function has a discontinuity at the given point.

4. Can a function have a limit at a point where it is not defined?

Yes, a function can have a limit at a point where it is not defined. This can occur if the left-sided and right-sided limits exist and are equal, or if the function can be extended at that point to make it continuous.

5. What are the applications of limit proofs in real life?

Limit proofs have various applications in real life, particularly in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and predict the behavior of various systems, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and financial investments.