Schwarzschild de sitter solution

In summary, the conversation is about finding a source for information on the orbits of particles and light rays in Schwarzschild de Sitter spacetime, specifically the effective radial potential and rotational speed of circular orbits. The speaker mentions that they can derive this information using the textbook treatment of Schwarzschild spacetime, but they would like a verified source to compare with. They suggest checking out a paper from 1999, which looks to be what the other person was looking for.
smallphi
Where can I find an elementary discussion of the orbits of particles and light rays in Schwarzschild de Sitter spacetime showing the effective radial potential, the rotational speed of circular orbits etc ?

I'm sure I can derive everything mimicking Hartle's textbook treatment of Schwarzschild-only but I need a verified source to compare notes with.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRD/v60/i4/e044006

This looks to be what you want, but it doesn't seem to be on the arXiv.

Yes exactly what I wanted, thanks! It's weird that such a comprehensive study of SdS spacetime appears so late in 1999.

What is the Schwarzschild de Sitter solution?

The Schwarzschild de Sitter solution is a mathematical solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity, which describes the relationship between gravity and the geometry of spacetime. It is a combination of the Schwarzschild solution, which describes the spacetime around a non-rotating, spherical mass, and the de Sitter solution, which describes a universe with a positive cosmological constant.

What does the Schwarzschild de Sitter solution predict?

The Schwarzschild de Sitter solution predicts the behavior of objects in a universe with a positive cosmological constant and a central, non-rotating mass. This can include the motion of planets and stars, as well as the bending of light in the presence of a massive object.

What are the key features of the Schwarzschild de Sitter solution?

The Schwarzschild de Sitter solution is characterized by three main features: a central, non-rotating mass; a cosmological constant, which determines the curvature of spacetime; and a horizon, beyond which objects cannot escape the gravitational pull of the central mass. It also predicts a time dilation effect near the horizon, where time appears to slow down for an outside observer.

What are the implications of the Schwarzschild de Sitter solution?

The Schwarzschild de Sitter solution has important implications for our understanding of the universe and the nature of gravity. It shows that the presence of a cosmological constant can have a significant impact on the behavior of objects in the universe, and it also highlights the role of mass in warping the fabric of spacetime.

How is the Schwarzschild de Sitter solution used in modern physics?

The Schwarzschild de Sitter solution is an important tool in modern physics, particularly in the study of cosmology and black holes. It is used to model the behavior of objects in our universe and to make predictions about their motion and interactions. It has also been used to test the validity of Einstein's theory of general relativity and to explore the nature of spacetime and gravity.