Solving a trigonometric equation

In summary, the given functions are y = 2 \sin \frac{x}{2} and y = 3 \cos \frac{x}{3} and the points of intersection on the interval 0<x<4pi can be found by setting 2 \sin \frac{x}{2}= 3\cos\frac{x}{3} and solving for x. Using the substitution y= x/6 and trigonometric identities, the equation can be simplified to a quadratic equation in either cos(y) or sin(y).
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

Determine the points of intersection for the two given functions on the interval 0<x<4pi

[tex] y = 2 \sin \frac{x}{2} [/tex]
[tex] y = 3 \cos \frac{x}{3} [/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

Well i tried graphing it and found out that the solution must lie somewhere between pi and 2pi and that there is only one solution on this interval.
But i can't seem to solve it!

i tried using the complex exponential form of sine and cosine and got

[tex] \frac{e^{ix/2}} + e^{-ix/2}}{e^{ix/3}-e^{-ix/3}} = \frac{i}{2} [/tex]

I tried substituting e^ix/2 = a and got this

[tex] \frac{a + a^{-1}}{a^{2/3}-a^{-2/3}} = \frac{i}{2} [/tex]

simplifying a bit
[tex] a^{8/3} + a^{2/3} = \frac{i}{2} (a^{7/3} - a^ {3/3}} [/tex]

and then make another substitution...
actally before i keep going i must ask if my way is unnecessarily longwinded...

is there something 'obvious' in the two functions where i can use some trig identities to simplify?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Using exponential looks to me like the hard way to do it!
You are told that [itex] y = 2 \sin \frac{x}{2} [/itex] and [itex] y = 3 \cos \frac{x}{3} [/itex] so [itex]2 \sin \frac{x}{2}= 3\cos\frac{x}{3}[/itex]. Since I personally feel that "multiples" of angles are easier to work with than "fractions", I might let y= x/6 so the equation becomes 2 sin(3y)= 3 cos(2y). Now, I recall that [itex]cos(2y)= cos^2(y)- sin^2(y)[/itex] and [itex]sin(2y)= 2sin(y)cos(y)[/itex] so that [itex]sin(3y)= sin(y+ 2y)= sin(y)cos(2y)+ cos(y)sin(2y)= sin(y)(cos^2(y)- sin^2(y))= sin(y)cos^2(y)- sin^3(y)[/itex]. The equation 2sin(3y)= 3cos(2y) becomes [itex]2sin(y)cos^2(y)- 2cos^2(y)= 3cos^2y- 3 sin^2(y)[/itex] which you can treat as a quadratic equation in either cos(y) or sin(y).

I would say that your approach is definitely valid and shows good problem-solving skills. However, there may be a simpler approach to solving this trigonometric equation. One possible way is to use the double angle formula for sine and the half angle formula for cosine to rewrite the given functions as:

y = 2sin(x/2) = 2(2sin^2(x/4)-1) = 4sin^2(x/4)-2

y = 3cos(x/3) = 3(2cos^2(x/6)-1) = 6cos^2(x/6)-3

Now, we can equate these two functions and solve for x:

4sin^2(x/4)-2 = 6cos^2(x/6)-3

4sin^2(x/4)-6cos^2(x/6) = -1

Using the double angle formula for sine and the half angle formula for cosine, we can simplify this equation to:

4(1-cos(x/2))-6(1+cos(x/3)) = -1

4-4cos(x/2)-6-6cos(x/3) = -1

-4cos(x/2)-6cos(x/3) = 11

Now, we can use the product-to-sum formula for cosine and simplify the equation further:

-4(cos(x/2+cos(x/3)) = 11

cos(x/2+cos(x/3)) = -11/4

We know that the cosine function has a maximum value of 1 and a minimum value of -1, so there are no real solutions for this equation. This means that there are no points of intersection for the two given functions on the interval 0<x<4pi. It is possible that there may be complex solutions, but that is beyond the scope of this problem.

In conclusion, it is always important to try different approaches when solving equations, and your attempt shows good problem-solving skills. However, in this case, there may be a simpler approach using trigonometric identities. It is always a good idea to review and familiarize yourself with these identities to make problem-solving easier.

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to use the properties and identities of trigonometric functions, as well as algebraic manipulation, to simplify the equation and find the values of the variables that satisfy the equation.

3. What are some common strategies for solving trigonometric equations?

Some common strategies for solving trigonometric equations include using the unit circle, converting trigonometric functions to their equivalent forms, and using the Pythagorean identities.

4. Are there any special cases when solving trigonometric equations?

Yes, there are special cases such as using the double angle or half angle formulas, as well as solving equations with multiple angles or inverse trigonometric functions.

5. How do you check if your solution to a trigonometric equation is correct?

You can check your solution by substituting it back into the original equation and simplifying to see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph the equation and the solution to visually confirm if it is correct.