Kinetic energy of inelastic collision problem

In summary, the question asks for the fraction of original kinetic energy lost in a collision between two particles, where one is at rest and the other has mass and velocity. The conservation of momentum law is used to find the final velocity of the two particles stuck together. The ratio of the difference of initial and final kinetic energy to the initial kinetic energy is found to be m2/(m1+m2) and both experts are unsure if this is the correct answer without concrete examples.
physicspupil

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m1 and velocity u1 collides with a particle of mass m2 at rest. The two particles stick together. What fraction of the original kinetic energy is lost in the collision?

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum law

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this one is right but was hoping somebody could check for me... It seemed too easy, so I just wanted to make sure I'm understanding it correctly.

m1u1 = (m1 + m2)u by conservation of momentum, so u = m1u1/(m1+m2)

Ti = ½ m u1^2 and Tf = ½ (m1+m2)u^2 = m1^2 u1^2/2(m1+m2) in terms of u1

Then I found Ti – Tf = (m1m2 u1^2)/2(m1 + m2) and then found ratio of this with Ti

I got m2/(m1 + m2). Is this correct? Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I got [itex]\frac{m_1}{m_1+ m_2}[/itex] and worked it the same basic way you did.

At least one of you two is obviously wrong. How much energy is lost when you throw a 1 gram spitball at a 75 kg man? What happens when a 75 kg man runs into a 1 gram spitball suspended from the ceiling?

Hi, rock.freak667, isn't your answer the amount of the original remaining (not lost)? I'm not sure, I'll check my work again. Man's kinetic energy isn't effected much but spitball's is - I think that's what makes me uncomfortable about these problem w/o numbers - harder to get an intuitive feel for them but making up concrete examples helps. Thanks to both of you.

1. What is kinetic energy in an inelastic collision?

Kinetic energy in an inelastic collision is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In an inelastic collision, some of this energy is lost due to the objects sticking together or deforming upon impact.

2. How is kinetic energy conserved in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy of the objects before and after the collision will not be equal. Some of the kinetic energy is lost as heat, sound, or deformation.

3. What is the equation for calculating kinetic energy in an inelastic collision?

The equation for kinetic energy in an inelastic collision is KE = 1/2mv2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. This equation can also be written as KE = 1/2mv12 + 1/2mv22, where v1 and v2 are the velocities of the two objects involved in the collision.

4. How does the coefficient of restitution affect the kinetic energy in an inelastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of how much of the kinetic energy is conserved in a collision. In an inelastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is less than 1, meaning that some of the kinetic energy is lost. The lower the coefficient, the greater the loss of kinetic energy.

5. Can the kinetic energy in an inelastic collision ever be greater than the initial kinetic energy?

No, the kinetic energy in an inelastic collision can never be greater than the initial kinetic energy. This is because some of the kinetic energy is always lost as heat, sound, or deformation. The total kinetic energy after the collision will always be less than the initial kinetic energy.