Relatively Prime & Perfect Squares

In summary, if a and b are relatively prime natural numbers such that ab is a perfect square, then a and b are also perfect squares. This can be proven by showing that the prime factors of a and b are mutually distinct and that their product is also a perfect square.
kingwinner
1) Suppose that a and b are relatively prime natural numbers such that ab is a perfect square (i.e. is the square of a natural number). Show that a and b are each perfect squares.

a=(a1^p1)(a2^p2)(a3^p3)...(a_n^p_n), a_i distinct primes
b=(b1^q1)(b2^q2)(b3^q3)... (b_m^q_m), b_j distinct primes
ab=(a1^p1)(a2^p2)(a3^p3)...(a_n^p_n) (b1^q1)(b2^q2)(b3^q3)... (b_m^q_m)

a and b are relateively prime, so none of a_i is equal to any of b_j, i.e. a_i and b_j are mutually distinct primes for all i and j

Since ab is a perfect square
ab=(a1^p1)(a2^p2)(a3^p3)...(an^pn) (b1^q1)(b2^q2)(b3^q3)... (bm^qm) = (c1^2k1)(c2^2k2)...(c_r^2k_r)
where c_i are distinct primes

How can I go on from here?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since a_i and b_i are distinct r = n+m. Order the c_i so that the first n are the primes factors of a and n+1 to m are the prime factors of b. It should pop out at you from there.

Problem solved...thank you!

1. What is a relatively prime number?

A relatively prime number is a positive integer that has no common divisors (other than 1) with another given positive integer. In other words, the greatest common divisor of two relatively prime numbers is 1.

2. How do you determine if two numbers are relatively prime?

To determine if two numbers are relatively prime, you can find the greatest common divisor (GCD) of the two numbers using a method such as Euclid's algorithm. If the GCD is 1, then the numbers are relatively prime.

3. Can two perfect squares be relatively prime?

No, two perfect squares cannot be relatively prime. The only positive integer that is relatively prime to a perfect square is 1. This is because all perfect squares have a factor of 1 and another factor that is equal to the square root of the perfect square.

4. What is the relationship between relatively prime numbers and perfect squares?

There is no specific relationship between relatively prime numbers and perfect squares. However, it is possible for two relatively prime numbers to both be perfect squares, as long as they are the same perfect square (e.g. 25 and 25). Otherwise, if two numbers are relatively prime, it is unlikely that they will both be perfect squares.

5. How are relatively prime numbers and perfect squares used in mathematics?

Relatively prime numbers and perfect squares are used in various mathematical concepts and equations, such as in number theory, algebra, and geometry. For example, in modular arithmetic, relatively prime numbers are crucial in determining whether or not a number has a multiplicative inverse. Perfect squares are also used in solving equations and in calculating areas and perimeters in geometry.