Statistical mechanics - why is temperature not a mechanical variable

In summary, temperature is not a mechanical variable. It is a property of a system that is independent of its constitution. It de-links from statistical-mechanical treatments and is intimately linked with entropy.
knulp
statistical mechanics -- why is temperature not a mechanical variable

Hi, I have heard that temperature is not a mechanical variable. That is, that even if you knew the positions and momenta of all the particles in some system, you still couldn't calculate the temperature, because temperature (and entropy, and free energy, etc) are ensemble variables.

Why is that?

By the way, one implication of this statement is that temperature is not really the average kinetic energy of a system, at least in some cases. Say you had a dilute (better yet, ideal) system of independent gas (argon) atoms and you knew the mass of any particle (they all have the same mass) and its velocity. You could then calculate kinetic energy (0.5 * m*v*v, right?) and average kinetic energy, therefore kinetic energy (and average kinetic energy) is a mechanical variable. But temperature is not. So temperature is not really average kinetic energy.

So, what is temperature?

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org

There is a nice definition of temperature, as the quantity which is the same between two systems in thermal equilibrium. So if we allow energy, but not particles or volume, to flow between two systems, at some point the energy flow will stop. At that time the systems are in thermal equilibrium and there is some quantity which is the same for both of them, called temperature.

If you want to have this thoroughly treated, you should look into a book, like the one by Kittel and Kroemer (Introduction to Thermal Physics).

I have to state up-front that I have a heretical view of thermodynamics. For example, I am reading Truesdell's "Rational Thermodynamics" which is really opening my eyes.

In my view, 'Temperature' is some property of a system that is independent of it's constitution. It does not have to be linked with 'equilibrium states' and is instead intimately linked with entropy.

Temperature should also de-linked from statistical-mechanical treatments. It's not helpful and is one of the reasons extending thermodynamics to nonequilibrium processes is so difficult.

As I said, my view is at variance with, say, Kittel. Or Reif. The standard "just-so" pseudo-mathematical treatments. For example, why is thermo*dynamics* presented in a time-independent form?

1. Why is temperature not considered a mechanical variable in statistical mechanics?

In statistical mechanics, temperature is not considered a mechanical variable because it is a macroscopic quantity that describes the average kinetic energy of a large number of particles in a system. It is not directly related to the individual microscopic motions of particles, which are the focus of mechanical variables.

2. How is temperature related to energy in statistical mechanics?

In statistical mechanics, temperature is related to energy through the Boltzmann distribution, which states that the probability of a particle having a certain energy is proportional to the exponential of the negative energy divided by the temperature. This relationship allows us to understand how temperature affects the distribution of energies in a system.

3. Does temperature affect the behavior of individual particles in a system?

No, temperature does not affect the behavior of individual particles in a system. It is a macroscopic quantity that describes the average behavior of a large number of particles. The individual particles within a system will have a range of energies and velocities, but the temperature represents the overall average.

4. Can temperature be measured in statistical mechanics?

Yes, temperature can be measured in statistical mechanics using various methods such as the ideal gas law, calorimetry, and thermometers. However, these measurements are based on macroscopic observations and do not directly measure the individual microscopic motions of particles.

5. How does statistical mechanics explain the relationship between temperature and entropy?

In statistical mechanics, temperature and entropy are related through the Boltzmann formula, which states that the entropy of a system is proportional to the logarithm of the number of microstates that are consistent with a given macrostate. As temperature increases, the number of microstates also increases, resulting in an increase in entropy. This relationship helps to explain why systems tend to move towards states of higher entropy, which is a fundamental principle of thermodynamics.