Calculating Minimum Trailing Distance in a Reaction Time Scenario

• Thread starter Argento7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minimum
In summary, you need to be a distance of at least 30.02 meters from the car in front of you in order to avoid a collision.
Argento7
Hello,

Homework Statement

You are driving along the New York State Thruway in a line of cars all traveling at a constant speed of 108.1 km/hr (Which I converted to 30.02 m/s). The car in front of you applies its brakes for maximum acceleration. You then apply your brakes to achieve the same maximum acceleration after only a 1 s delay due to reaction time. What distance behind the car in front of you must you be to avoid a collision?

Homework Equations

How can I factor in the 1s delay on the time?

All the equations for the problem are located here:
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/1DKin/U1L6a1.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the origin and my initial position to 0 for the car in front of you. I also had tried several times to figure out the acceleration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Argento7 said:
Hello,

Homework Statement

You are driving along the New York State Thruway in a line of cars all traveling at a constant speed of 108.1 km/hr (Which I converted to 30.02 m/s). The car in front of you applies its brakes for maximum acceleration. You then apply your brakes to achieve the same maximum acceleration after only a 1 s delay due to reaction time. What distance behind the car in front of you must you be to avoid a collision?

Homework Equations

How can I factor in the 1s delay on the time?

All the equations for the problem are located here:
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/1DKin/U1L6a1.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the origin and my initial position to 0 for the car in front of you. I also had tried several times to figure out the acceleration.

Welcome to PF.

Hint: You don't need to know actual acceleration. Just that it is the same and yours is 1 s later.

If you plotted a graph of velocity for each car they will look the same ... except for the 1 sec delay. So long as you start deceleration before you reach the point on the road that the car ahead starts then you should maintain the same distance to stopping.

For a 1 second margin then how does that translate into distance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, you were traveling at 30.02m/s, so in 1 second you will cover 30.02m, and you need 1 second to react. So at least you have to be a 30.02 meters distance from the car that is ahead of you.

Kasper_NYC said:
Hi, you were traveling at 30.02m/s, so in 1 second you will cover 30.02m, and you need 1 second to react. So at least you have to be a 30.02 meters distance from the car that is ahead of you.

There you go. You're ready to drive safely.

Thank you both so much :approve:

What is Minimum Trailing Distance?

Minimum Trailing Distance refers to the shortest distance between a moving object and the object behind it, such as a vehicle and the one following it.

Why is Minimum Trailing Distance important?

Minimum Trailing Distance is important for safety reasons, as it allows enough space for a vehicle to stop or maneuver in case of an emergency. It also helps to prevent collisions and reduces the risk of accidents.

How is Minimum Trailing Distance calculated?

Minimum Trailing Distance is typically calculated by multiplying the speed of the vehicle by the reaction time of the driver and adding the length of the vehicle. This calculation can vary depending on the specific situation and factors such as weather conditions.

What factors can affect Minimum Trailing Distance?

Some factors that can affect Minimum Trailing Distance include speed, road conditions, weather, visibility, and the type of vehicle. For example, a larger and heavier vehicle may require a longer trailing distance compared to a smaller vehicle.

How can I ensure I am maintaining a safe Minimum Trailing Distance?

To ensure you are maintaining a safe Minimum Trailing Distance, always follow the recommended distance guidelines and adjust according to the specific situation. It is also important to always remain alert and avoid distractions while driving to be able to react quickly in case of any unexpected changes on the road.