Cosmology, K=0, Matter dominated, energy density

In summary, to find the energy density of starlight in a matter-dominated universe with a uniform distribution of stars, we can use the Stefan-Boltzmann law and add it to the energy density of matter in the universe.
Gravitino

Homework Statement

For K=0 of matter dominated universe, i.e at z>>1, find the energy density of starlight if f portion of matter condensed in solar type stars and the stars are uniformly distributed in space.

Homework Equations

Friedman eqn:

[tex]\rho_m = \frac{3H^2}{8 \pi G}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is homework, so i do not want someone simply to solve it for me. My concern is what do they mean by the energy density of starlight? And is it not the same as proper energy density that i brought above in Friedmann equation? (The notion for this energy density was U*). I need some hints. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

The energy density of starlight refers to the total amount of energy per unit volume that is emitted by stars in the universe. This includes both the visible light that we can see and the other forms of electromagnetic radiation that are emitted by stars, such as infrared, ultraviolet, and X-rays.

To calculate the energy density of starlight, we can use the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which relates the energy density of radiation to the temperature of the emitting body. In this case, we can assume that the stars have a uniform temperature, which is determined by their distribution in space. We can then use this temperature to calculate the energy density of starlight, which can be added to the energy density of matter in the universe.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe and the large-scale structures within it.

2. What does K=0 mean in cosmology?

In cosmology, K=0 refers to a flat universe, where the overall curvature of space is neither positive nor negative. This means that parallel lines will remain parallel and the angles of a triangle will add up to 180 degrees, as in Euclidean geometry.

3. What does it mean for a universe to be matter dominated?

A matter-dominated universe is one in which the majority of the energy and matter present is in the form of matter, such as atoms, rather than other forms of energy such as radiation or dark energy. This is a common characteristic of the early stages of the universe.

4. How does energy density affect the universe?

Energy density is a measure of the amount of energy per unit volume in the universe. In cosmology, it is an important factor in determining the fate of the universe. A high energy density can lead to a universe that expands forever, while a low energy density can result in a universe that eventually collapses.

5. What are the implications of a K=0, matter-dominated, energy density universe?

A K=0, matter-dominated, energy density universe has important implications for the evolution and fate of the universe. It suggests that the universe will continue to expand at a constant rate and will eventually cool down as matter becomes more spread out. This also means that the universe is likely to continue expanding indefinitely, rather than collapsing in on itself.