Solve Silent Ringing Bell Homework Statement

• Thread starter anubis01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bell
In summary, the clapper rod should have a length of 4.96 meters in order for the bell to ring silently.
anubis01

Homework Statement

A large bell is hung from a wooden beam so it can swing back and forth with negligible friction. The center of mass of the bell is 0.65m below the pivot, the bell has mass 37.0 Kg, and the moment of inertia of the bell about an axis at the pivot is 19.0 kg*m^2. The clapper is a small, 1.8 kg mass attached to one end of a slender rod that has length L and negligible mass. The other end of the rod is attached to the inside of the bell so it can swing freely about the same axis as the bell.

a)What should be the length of the clapper rod for the bell to ring silently-that is, for the period of oscillation for the bell to equal that for the clapper?

Homework Equations

Tbell=2pisqrt(I/mgd)

The Attempt at a Solution

okay so we have to have Tbell=TClapper
Tbell=2pisqrt(I/mgd)=2pisqrt(19/37*9.8*0.65)=1.784 s
1.784=TClapper=2pisqrt(I/mgd)
(1.748^2*g)/2pi=L=4.96m

Now I still have the wrong answer with this method, could someone please help me determine waht I'm doing wrong, as always any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
anubis01 said:
(1.748^2*g)/2pi=L=4.96m
Shouldn't that 2∏ be squared?

Doc Al said:
yes it should, sigh I really need to improve my arithmitic skills. Thanks for the help.

Doc Al said:

What about the 1.8kg ?

A large bell is hung from a wooden beam so it can swing back and forth with negligible friction. The center of mass of the bell is 0.45 below the pivot, the bell has mass 40.0 , and the moment of inertia of the bell about an axis at the pivot is 20.0 . The clapper is a small, 1.8 mass attached to one end of a slender rod that has length and negligible mass. The other end of the rod is attached to the inside of the bell so it can swing freely about the same axis as the bell.
What should be the length of the clapper rod for the bell to ring silently-that is, for the period of oscillation for the bell to equal that for the clapper?

Im getting 2.2 meters !? Can someone solve!

It's a trick question. You are solving for the bell to "swing" silently not "ring" silently. The answer (to the actual question) is that you have to mismatch the clapper and bell frequencies to ensure a hit (or it can't ring) and then it has to be in vacuum so it can ring silently.

using the above work I got 1.1m, You should also remember to have (2pi)2 instead of just 2pi in the final part of the equation. It would also be helpful if you were to post your work.

anubis01 said:
using the above work I got 1.1m, You should also remember to have (2pi)2 instead of just 2pi in the final part of the equation. It would also be helpful if you were to post your work.

Sight at me.. Cheers man.

1. What is the "Silent Ringing Bell" homework statement?

The "Silent Ringing Bell" homework statement is a common physics problem that involves a bell that rings without making any sound. This problem challenges students to use their understanding of sound waves and acoustics to explain the phenomenon.

2. How do you approach solving the "Silent Ringing Bell" homework statement?

The first step in solving the "Silent Ringing Bell" homework statement is to thoroughly read and understand the problem. Then, you should identify the key concepts and equations that are relevant to the problem. From there, you can use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to come up with a solution.

3. What are some common misconceptions about the "Silent Ringing Bell" homework statement?

One common misconception about the "Silent Ringing Bell" homework statement is that the bell is actually silent, when in fact, it is producing sound waves that are not audible to the human ear. Another misconception is that the bell is not actually ringing, when in reality, it is vibrating and producing sound waves that are being canceled out by other sound waves.

4. What are some helpful tips for solving the "Silent Ringing Bell" homework statement?

Some helpful tips for solving the "Silent Ringing Bell" homework statement include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, using diagrams or illustrations to visualize the problem, and checking your work for accuracy and logic. It can also be helpful to collaborate with peers or seek assistance from a teacher or tutor.

5. How can understanding the "Silent Ringing Bell" homework statement be applied in real life?

Understanding the "Silent Ringing Bell" homework statement can be applied in various real-life situations, such as understanding the physics behind noise-canceling headphones, or designing soundproof rooms for recording studios. It also has practical applications in understanding the behavior of sound waves in different environments, such as in buildings or outdoor spaces.