Momentum and kinetic energy through potential difference

In summary, an electron and a proton are accelerated through a potential difference of 10 million volts. To find their momentum in MeV/c and kinetic energy in MeV, the masses of the particles in MeV/c^2 must be determined. Then, the velocity can be calculated using the equation for voltage as energy per charge.
itsdanfreas
An electron and a proton are each accelerated through a potential difference of 10 million volts. find the momentum (in MeV/c) and the kinetic energy (in MeV) of each.

----------------------------

I started by finding the masses of the proton and electron in MeV/c^2, but i don't know where to go from there.

I believe i need to find the velocities...but I'm not sure how to get the velocity just by looking at the potential difference.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

itsdanfreas said:
An electron and a proton are each accelerated through a potential difference of 10 million volts. find the momentum (in MeV/c) and the kinetic energy (in MeV) of each.

I believe i need to find the velocities...but I'm not sure how to get the velocity just by looking at the potential difference.

Hi itsdanfreas! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Learn your electric units …

voltage = energy per charge = joules per coulomb :wink:

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum related to kinetic energy?

Momentum and kinetic energy are related because both depend on an object's mass and velocity. However, momentum is a measure of the object's motion, while kinetic energy is a measure of the object's ability to do work.

3. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the measure of the difference in electrical potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

4. How is potential difference related to kinetic energy and momentum?

In a closed electrical circuit, potential difference is responsible for the movement of charged particles, which creates a flow of current and generates kinetic energy and momentum. The amount of potential difference determines the speed and direction of the particles.

5. How does increasing potential difference affect momentum and kinetic energy?

Increasing potential difference can increase the speed and therefore the momentum of charged particles in an electric field. This increase in velocity also increases the kinetic energy of the particles. However, the relationship between potential difference and these quantities is not linear and depends on other factors such as resistance and circuit configuration.