Some algebra simplification

• Thread starter tinkus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
Can you help us help you?In summary, the conversation involves finding the correct solution to the expression 2(1/t)/(1/t)^2+t * -1/t^2 + 2sqrtt/ (1/t)^2+t * 1/2sqrtt, with one person providing a potential solution of -4t^3 + 3t^2+ 2t/t+ t^4 but being told it is incorrect and to show the steps taken to get to that solution. The other person suggests re-writing the expression in Latex for a better understanding, but the original person responds with a terse and unclear reply.
tinkus

Homework Statement

2(1/t)/(1/t)^2+t * -1/t^2 + 2sqrtt/ (1/t)^2+t * 1/2sqrtt

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my solution = -4t^3 + 3t^2+ 2t/t+ t^4
but incorrect

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, well, show us the steps you took to get to your solution? First try canceling out any common factors in the numerators and denominators, I can see a few.

tinkus said:

Homework Statement

2(1/t)/(1/t)^2+t * -1/t^2 + 2sqrtt/ (1/t)^2+t * 1/2sqrtt

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my solution = -4t^3 + 3t^2+ 2t/t+ t^4
but incorrect

Re-writing in Latex to try to understand it better:

[tex]({2 \frac{1/t}{(1/t)^2 + t}}) ( \frac{-1}{t^2} + 2 \sqrt{\frac{t}{(1/t)^2 + t}} ) (\frac{1}{2 \sqrt{t}})[/tex]

Did I guess right at your problem statement? If not, use my Latex as a starting point in a QUOTE reply, and fix it up. Then we can talk about your answer...

((2/t)/((1/t^2)+t)) (-1/t^2 ) + ((2sqrtt) / ((1/t)^2)+t)) ( 1/2sqrtt)

tinkus said:
((2/t)/((1/t^2)+t)) (-1/t^2 ) + ((2sqrtt) / ((1/t)^2)+t)) ( 1/2sqrtt)

Several problems with your terse Reply:

-1- Which post are you responding to? Mine or Gib Z's?

-2- What are you showing us, the problem simplified, your attempt at a solution, or the solution?

-3- Why are you still not using Latex to post your math question? Do what I suggested and use Latex. Just use the QUOTE reply feature to get the simple Latex source for my response, and use that to post your math question.

I'd like to welcome you to the PF, but you're making it kind of hard...

1. What is algebra simplification?

Algebra simplification is the process of reducing a mathematical expression into its simplest form by combining like terms, eliminating unnecessary parentheses, and using algebraic rules such as the distributive property and the associative property.

2. Why is algebra simplification important?

Algebra simplification allows us to solve more complex equations and expressions by reducing them into a more manageable form. It also helps us better understand the relationships between different terms in an expression and identify patterns.

3. How do I simplify algebraic expressions?

To simplify an algebraic expression, you need to follow the order of operations (PEMDAS) and combine like terms. Start by simplifying within parentheses, then simplify any exponents, followed by multiplication and division from left to right, and finally addition and subtraction from left to right.

4. Can I simplify all algebraic expressions?

No, not all algebraic expressions can be simplified. Some expressions are already in their simplest form and cannot be further reduced. Additionally, some expressions may require more advanced algebraic techniques to simplify them.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when simplifying algebraic expressions?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to apply the distributive property, combining unlike terms, and making errors with negative signs. It is also important to double-check your work and simplify as much as possible before moving on to the next step.