What are the Most Respected Journals in Medical Research Fields?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Fra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Journals
In summary, The top scientific journals for publishing medical research in the fields of (heart)surgery, anesthesia, medicine focusing on the heart/blood, and neuroscience (particularly in the areas of pain/stress responses, behavioral brain neuroscience, and learning disorders) are Nature, Science, Neuron, Nature Neuroscience, and Journal of Neurophysiology. These are the most highly respected and prestigious journals in these fields, and would be considered the best references for a measurement system.
Fra
I apologize for this simple question, but maybe some of you dedicates medical experts can give me a quick answer to this? I think this is the right section.

What scientific journals, among international top-3 or so would you think a researcher would rather get published in these fields?

- (Heart)surgery

- Anasthesia

- Medicin (focus on the heart/blood)?

- Neuroscience? pain/stress responses and behavioural brain neuroscience learning disorders

The reason I ask is that I am not that familiar with these journals and I am assembling a reference list to produce an argument for the reputation of a measurement system. The question is which references from what journals of that system that would generally be considered having most status?

/Fredrik

Biology news on Phys.org
Nature and Science publish the most high profile results in these fields. For neuroscience, (my field) other very well respected journals, roughly in order from more prestige to less, are:

Neuron
Nature Neuroscience
Journal of Neurophysiology

I understand your need for reliable and reputable sources for your argument. In the fields of medical research, there are several highly respected journals that are considered top-tier in their respective areas of expertise. Some examples include:

1. The Lancet - This internationally renowned journal covers a wide range of medical specialties, including cardiology, anesthesiology, and neuroscience.

2. The New England Journal of Medicine - This prestigious journal publishes original research and review articles in all areas of medicine, including surgery and anesthesia.

3. Circulation - This journal is specifically focused on cardiovascular medicine and publishes cutting-edge research in the field.

4. Anesthesiology - As the official journal of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, this publication is a leading source of new developments in anesthesia and perioperative medicine.

5. Journal of Neuroscience - This highly respected journal covers all aspects of neuroscience, including pain and stress responses, as well as learning disorders.

In general, researchers in the fields of heart surgery, anesthesia, and neuroscience would likely prefer to publish their work in one of these top-tier journals. However, it is important to note that the reputation and impact of a journal can also vary within a specific field, so it is always best to consult with experts in your specific area of research for their recommendations.

What are the criteria for a journal to be considered "most respected"?

The criteria for a journal to be considered "most respected" can vary, but some common factors include the journal's impact factor, reputation and prestige in the scientific community, and the quality and rigor of the peer-review process.

How can I determine if a journal is considered "most respected" in my field of study?

One way to determine if a journal is considered "most respected" in your field of study is to look at the journal's impact factor and ranking within its subject category. You can also ask other researchers in your field for their opinions and experiences with the journal.

Are "most respected" journals always the most highly ranked in terms of impact factor?

Not necessarily. While a high impact factor can be an indicator of a journal's prestige, there are other factors that contribute to a journal's reputation and respect in the scientific community. These can include the quality of the articles published, the diversity of topics covered, and the journal's history and standing within the field.

Do all "most respected" journals use a rigorous peer-review process?

While peer-review is a standard practice for most respected journals, the level of rigor can vary. Some journals may have a more stringent peer-review process, while others may have a less rigorous process. It's important to research the specific journal's peer-review policies and procedures to determine the level of rigor.

Is it necessary to publish in a "most respected" journal to have a successful career in science?

No, it is not necessary to only publish in "most respected" journals to have a successful career in science. While publishing in these journals can certainly enhance your reputation and credibility as a researcher, what matters most is the quality and impact of your research, regardless of the journal it is published in.