First order differential question

In summary, the equation for the number of grams of salt in a solution after t seconds is dx/dt = 0.8x - 0.004x^2. In order to find the time it takes for an additional 50g of salt to dissolve, you need to solve the differential equation using partial fractions. Once you have the solution, you can substitute x=50 and t=0 to find the value of the constant c.
cupcake
question :

As the salt KNO3 dissolves in methanol, the number x(t) of grams of the salt in a solution after t seconds satisfies the differential equation dx/dt = 0.8x - 0.004x^2

if x=50 when t=0, how long will it take for an additional 50g of salt to dissolve.

ok, here I'm encountering the differential part, I don't know how to solve the differential question.. so far, what I have done...

using separable differential equations..

1/(0.8x - 0.004 x^2) dx = dt

and integral both sides...

1/(0.8x - 0.004 x^2) dx = t+c

I don't know to integrate the right side, I use the integral calculator and the answer is

{ 5 ln x - 5 ln (x-200) } / 4 so, the whole equation will be

5 ln x - 5 ln (x-200) = 4 (t+c)

but, I think it doesn't work when I substitute x=50 when t=0. cause the ln (x-200) can't be minus.. :frown:

so, please advise me

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Split into partial fractions

[tex]\frac{1}{0.8x - 0.004 x^2}=\frac{1}{x(0.8-0.004x)}=\frac{A}{x}+\frac{B}{0.8-0.004x}[/tex]

bring the right side to the same denominator, then take the numerator you get and put that equal to the numerator on the left side (1 in this case)

Now you will get an equality that is valid for all values of x, so you can pick the most convenient values of x to get A and B.

so if you had something like

A(x-1)+B(x+1)=1

to get A, you'd put x=-1 to eliminate B. To get B, you'd put x=1 and A would disappear.

Do the same with your question.

What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is an equation that relates an unknown function to its derivative. It only involves the first derivative of the function, hence the name "first order".

What is the general form of a first order differential equation?

The general form of a first order differential equation is dy/dx = f(x,y), where y is the unknown function and f(x,y) is a function of both x and y.

How do you solve a first order differential equation?

First order differential equations can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. The method used depends on the specific form of the equation.

What are some real-life applications of first order differential equations?

First order differential equations are used to model various physical and biological phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in engineering and economics.

What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial first order differential equation?

An ordinary first order differential equation involves only one independent variable, while a partial first order differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Partial differential equations are typically used to model systems with more complex dependencies.