Triple Major + MS: Is it Worth It?

• Programs
  • Thread starter D3m0nic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a triple major in physics, engineering, and math, on top of a minor in math. They are seeking advice on whether this is worth it and if it will provide an added advantage. However, there are concerns about the heavy course load and potentially missing out on other interesting classes. The general consensus is that second/third majors are not highly valued by employers or graduate schools, and it may be better to focus on taking courses for interest or pursuing a minor instead. Meeting with a counselor may also be helpful in determining if this course load is feasible.
D3m0nic
Triple Major with MS??

My university offers a dual degree program in physics and engineering meaning in 5 years time I can have BS in physics & engineering on top off MS in Engineering. As i transferred credits I can do this program just for 4 years as normal undergrad student.
Now if I want I can do another BS in Math. I am wondering whether it is a good idea for me to pursue Math. I enjoy math and before joining the dual degree program I was considering double major in math and physics. My major question now is: will it be worth to do a Math major as well? Do you think I will have an added advantage?
I know triple major can be hard with lots of course load. This would be mean I won't be able to take any other 'interesting' classes. If I do not do Math as a major I am still minoring in it and i can pick up another minor or two.

I just want advice!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

hmm... no one know what to say! =(

a) General consensus on this forum is that nobody (neither jobs nor grad schools) really cares about second/third majors-it's all about the coursework
b) look at the math courses and see how many of them actually interest you-enough to bother with the major?

Well I had a hard time fitting a double major in Astrophysics and Economics into my course load limits. Econ is not a very large major. I would think that a triple major in Physics, engineering, AND math on top of GE requirements and College requirements would be a doozy. All I can say, is maybe meet with a counselor and see if you can fit all those courses. Otherwise...you can always take courses for interest, or you can consider a minor.

I understand the appeal of pursuing multiple majors and a graduate degree, as it can provide a well-rounded education and open up a variety of career opportunities. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential benefits and drawbacks of such a decision.

Firstly, it is important to assess your personal goals and interests. Are you passionate about all three subjects and willing to put in the extra effort and time to excel in all of them? Pursuing a triple major with a graduate degree can be very challenging and may limit your ability to take other courses that interest you. It is important to weigh the trade-offs and determine if the added advantage of a triple major is worth the sacrifice of potential elective courses.

Additionally, it is important to consider the job market and demand for individuals with a triple major and a graduate degree in these fields. While having a diverse education can be beneficial, it is also important to have a specific focus and expertise that sets you apart in the job market. You may want to research the job opportunities and salaries for individuals with similar qualifications to help inform your decision.

Lastly, it is important to consider the financial aspect of pursuing multiple majors and a graduate degree. Will the added cost of tuition and potential delay in entering the workforce be worth the potential benefits in the long run? It is important to weigh the financial impact and determine if it aligns with your personal goals and priorities.

In conclusion, while a triple major with a graduate degree can provide a well-rounded education and potentially open up a variety of career opportunities, it is important to carefully consider your personal goals, the job market, and the financial impact before making a decision. It may be beneficial to speak with academic advisors, career counselors, and individuals in the field to gather more information and make an informed decision. I wish you the best of luck in your academic journey.

1. Is pursuing a triple major and an MS degree worth the extra time and effort?

It ultimately depends on your personal goals and interests. Pursuing a triple major and an MS degree can provide a well-rounded education and potentially open up more career opportunities. However, it also requires a significant amount of time and effort, so you should carefully consider if it aligns with your long-term goals.

2. Will having a triple major and an MS degree give me an advantage in the job market?

Having a diverse set of skills and knowledge from a triple major and an MS degree can make you stand out to potential employers. However, it is not a guarantee of job opportunities or success. Employers also value relevant experience and practical skills, so it's important to gain those as well.

3. How will pursuing a triple major and an MS degree impact my academic workload?

Pursuing a triple major and an MS degree will undoubtedly increase your academic workload. You will have to manage your time efficiently and be prepared to take on a heavy course load. It's important to prioritize your studies and seek support from professors and classmates when needed.

4. Are there any specific industries or careers that value a triple major and an MS degree?

While there is no specific industry or career that exclusively values a triple major and an MS degree, it can be beneficial in fields that require a diverse set of skills and knowledge. This may include fields such as business, technology, and research.

5. Can I pursue a triple major and an MS degree simultaneously or should I complete them separately?

It is possible to pursue a triple major and an MS degree simultaneously, but it requires careful planning and time management. It may be more feasible to complete them separately, allowing you to fully focus on each degree and potentially reduce your overall academic workload.