Calculating Driving Force on a Conveyor Belt with Baggage Load?

In summary, the conversation discusses the required driving force for a conveyor belt moving at a constant speed of 1.5m/s with baggage being placed and lifted off at a rate of 20 kg per second. The calculation for the driving force is determined to be 30N, using the formula F = dm/dt * v. There is some uncertainty about the reasoning behind this calculation, but it is agreed that the answer is correct.
gaobo9109
A conveyor belt consists of a horizontal endless belt running over driving rollers, moving at a constant speed of 1.5m/s. To keep the belt moving requires a greater driving force than for an empty belt. On average, the rate at which baggage is placed on one end of the belt and lifted off at the other end is 20 kg per second.

For this question, the answer is simply 1.5 x 20 = 30N, but I am not sure of the exact explanation for such working.

My own attempt at the solution is at follow:

Rate of change of mass dm/dt = 20
Change of momentum of one baggage = m(1.5 - 0)
Force needed to this change of momentum = dp/dt = dm/dt x v = 1.5 x 20 = 30N

I am not sure whether my reasoning is correct

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with the answer ..

Force = dp/dt , p = mv , then, F= d(mv)/dt = dm/dt *v + dv/dt *m .. since it said that the velocity is constant, then dv/dt = 0 .. that yields to F = dm/dt *v , which is the answer you got .. :)

What is the conveyor belt problem?

The conveyor belt problem is a classic mathematics problem that involves determining the speed of a moving object on a conveyor belt based on the distance it travels and the speed of the conveyor belt.

What are the key factors involved in the conveyor belt problem?

The key factors involved in the conveyor belt problem are the speed of the conveyor belt, the distance the object travels on the conveyor belt, and the speed of the object.

What is the formula for solving the conveyor belt problem?

The formula for solving the conveyor belt problem is: Object speed = Conveyor belt speed + Distance traveled on the conveyor belt

How do you approach solving the conveyor belt problem?

To solve the conveyor belt problem, you first need to identify the known values (conveyor belt speed, distance traveled, and object speed) and plug them into the formula. Then, you can solve for the unknown value by using basic algebraic operations.

What are some real-life applications of the conveyor belt problem?

The conveyor belt problem has practical applications in industries such as manufacturing, logistics, and transportation. It can be used to optimize conveyor belt speeds and object speeds to increase efficiency and productivity. It can also be used in designing conveyor systems for various purposes.