Where have i gone wrong with this basic mechanics question?

• Thread starter coffeem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation discusses common challenges in solving mechanics problems and provides tips for improving problem solving skills. It emphasizes the importance of understanding concepts, breaking down problems, and seeking help when needed. Additionally, it highlights the significance of checking one's work and practicing regularly to minimize mistakes.
coffeem

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7789/questionz.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

[PLAIN]http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1492/myatteptm.jpg

NOTE - it said as an aside it was meant to be 8kg and not 18!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Redo the arithmetic in the last step, when solving for v.

Doc Al said:
Redo the arithmetic in the last step, when solving for v.

thanks! does the rest of it look ok?

coffeem said:
does the rest of it look ok?
Yes, it looks fine. My only suggestion is that you be careful about rounding off too soon.

It seems like you have made a minor mistake in your calculations. Your approach to the problem is correct, but it appears that you have used the incorrect mass value of 18kg instead of the given value of 8kg. This has resulted in a discrepancy in the final answer. To correct this, simply use the correct mass value of 8kg in your calculations and your final answer should be correct. It is important to always double check your values and units when solving physics problems to ensure accuracy. Keep up the good work!

1. Why can't I solve this mechanics question correctly?

Solving mechanics problems can be challenging, and it's common to make mistakes along the way. It's important to carefully read the problem and understand the concepts involved. It may also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and use diagrams or equations to visualize and solve it.

2. How can I improve my mechanics problem solving skills?

Practice is key to improving any skill, including mechanics problem solving. Make sure you have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles, and then try solving a variety of problems. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor, or use online resources for additional practice.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a mechanics question?

If you get stuck on a mechanics question, take a step back and review the information and equations you have at your disposal. It may also be helpful to work through similar problems or seek assistance from a teacher or tutor. Don't get discouraged – problem solving takes time and practice.

4. Why is it important to check my work when solving mechanics problems?

Checking your work is crucial in solving mechanics problems. Small mistakes can lead to incorrect answers, and it's important to catch and correct them before moving on. You can check your work by plugging the final values into the original equations, or by using logic and common sense to ensure your answer makes sense.

5. How can I avoid making mistakes in mechanics problem solving?

Mistakes are a natural part of problem solving, but there are ways to minimize them. Carefully read and understand the problem, double check your work, and break down the problem into smaller parts. It's also important to practice and review the fundamental principles and equations regularly to strengthen your problem solving skills.