Energy Stored In a Magnetic Coupled Circuit

In summary, when calculating the energy stored in a circuit, it's important to use the correct dot convention. A positive sign before the energy term indicates that energy is being stored in the components, while a negative sign indicates energy being released. It's important to follow the conventions given by your textbook or instructor for accuracy.
farmd684

Homework Statement

2j1tvki.jpg

In this circuit i m given that Vs=12cos10t V Calculate the energy stored at t=15ms

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have got I1 and I2 but i m confused how i can get the energy by using dot convention. Should i use -Mi1i2 or +Mi1i2 while calculating the stored energy ?

I can see both the current enters ar dotted terminals thus i should use +ve sign before Mi1i2 but the book says the opposite. Why is that ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for reaching out for help with your circuit problem! Calculating the energy stored in a circuit can be a bit confusing, but it's important to use the correct conventions to ensure accuracy in your calculations. Let's break it down step by step to make it easier to understand.

First, let's review the dot convention. In a circuit, the direction of current flow is shown by a small dot next to the current arrow. The dot points in the direction of the current flow. When two components (such as resistors or inductors) are connected, the dots must be aligned in the same direction for the current to flow through the components.

Now, when it comes to calculating the energy stored in a circuit, we use the dot convention to determine the sign of the energy. A positive sign indicates that energy is being stored in the component, while a negative sign indicates that energy is being released from the component.

In your case, since both currents are entering the dotted terminals, you should use a positive sign before the energy term (+Mi1i2). This indicates that energy is being stored in the components, as both currents are flowing in the same direction.

It's important to follow the conventions given in your textbook or by your instructor, as they may vary slightly from other sources. This ensures consistency and accuracy in your calculations.

I hope this helps clarify the confusion and allows you to successfully calculate the energy stored in your circuit. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is energy stored in a magnetic coupled circuit?

Energy stored in a magnetic coupled circuit refers to the amount of energy that is stored in the form of a magnetic field between two or more coupled inductors.

2. How is energy stored in a magnetic coupled circuit?

Energy is stored in a magnetic coupled circuit through the phenomenon of mutual inductance, where a changing current in one inductor induces a current in the other, creating a magnetic field and storing energy.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy stored in a magnetic coupled circuit?

The amount of energy stored in a magnetic coupled circuit is affected by the number of turns in the inductors, the size and shape of the inductors, the material of the core, and the distance between the inductors.

4. How is the energy stored in a magnetic coupled circuit calculated?

The energy stored in a magnetic coupled circuit can be calculated using the formula: E = 1/2 * M * I1 * I2, where E is the energy stored, M is the mutual inductance, and I1 and I2 are the currents in the two inductors.

5. What are some practical applications of energy stored in a magnetic coupled circuit?

Energy stored in a magnetic coupled circuit is used in various applications such as transformers, motors, generators, and wireless power transfer systems. It is also used in electronic circuits to store energy and regulate voltage levels.