Relationship Between Tension And Resonant Frequency.

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between tension and resonant frequency in a length of rubber. The equation for resonant frequency in a length of string is mentioned, but there is uncertainty about its applicability to rubber bands due to their greater stretch and potential changes in mass per unit length. It is suggested to assume small amplitude oscillations for simplicity in solving the problem.
daaaannn.
1. I have to find out the relationship between tension and resonant frequency in a length of rubber, using stationary waves.

2. I know there is an equation for the resonant frequency in a length of string, given as f= 1/2L * sqrt T/μ . I am however imagining that as this is a rubber band, therefore much more stretch, that the mass per unit length changes considerably. Anyone have any ideas about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are right that the mass per length would change if you chose to stretch the rubber band significantly. But this is physics, and that would be a hard problem. I think it is safe to assume that you are still in the "small amplitude oscillation" realm, so you can assume that your m/L is constant.

What is tension?

Tension is the force that is applied to an object in order to stretch or elongate it.

What is resonant frequency?

Resonant frequency is the natural frequency at which an object vibrates or oscillates with the most amplitude when a force is applied.

What is the relationship between tension and resonant frequency?

The relationship between tension and resonant frequency is that as tension increases, the resonant frequency also increases. This means that the object will vibrate or oscillate with a higher frequency when more tension is applied to it.

How does tension affect the resonant frequency of a string?

For a string, increasing the tension will cause the resonant frequency to increase. This is because the tension changes the speed at which the wave travels through the string, resulting in a higher frequency.

What happens to the resonant frequency if the tension is decreased?

If the tension is decreased, the resonant frequency will also decrease. This is because the speed of the wave traveling through the string decreases, resulting in a lower frequency of vibration or oscillation.