Linear algebra. invertible matrix and its eigenvalue

In summary, when multiplying both sides of the equation by A-1, you end up with 1/λ being an eigenvalue of A-1.
mcbonov

Homework Statement

Let A be an invertible matrix.
show that if λ is an eigenvalue of A,
then 1/λ is an eigenvalue of A^-1

PLEASE HELP ME .
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
mcbonov said:

Homework Statement

Let A be an invertible matrix.
show that if λ is an eigenvalue of A,
then 1/λ is an eigenvalue of A^-1

PLEASE HELP ME .
Thank you.

You're new here (welcome to Physics Forums!) so you probably haven't had a chance to check out the rules. Before we can provide any help, you need to show an effort at the problem you're posting.

When you're working proofs such as these, it's crucial that you have the definitions of the terms being used.

For example, what does it mean that A is an invertible matrix?
What does it mean that λ is an eigenvalue of A?
What's another way of saying that 1/λ is an eigenvalue of A-1?

i tried Ax =λx
(Ax-λx)=0
(A-λ)x=0 since x is not a zero vector
A-λ=0 then A=λ

THEN A^-1 = λ^-1
so (A^-1)x = (λ^-1)x

I basically don't know how to prove...
I don't think the above is near to correct answer.
that's the most I can do ...
how can i solve this problem??

mcbonov said:
i tried Ax =λx
(Ax-λx)=0
(A-λ)x=0 since x is not a zero vector
No, you can't say this. A is a matrix, but λ is a scalar. You can't subtract a scalar from a matrix. What you can say is this:
(A-λI)x=0, for some nonzero vector x (an eigenvector of the eigenvalue λ).
mcbonov said:
A-λ=0 then A=λ
Makes no sense, since A and λ are two completely different kinds of things.
mcbonov said:
THEN A^-1 = λ^-1
so (A^-1)x = (λ^-1)x

I basically don't know how to prove...
I don't think the above is near to correct answer.
that's the most I can do ...
how can i solve this problem??

You know that Ax =λx for some nonzero vector x. You also know that A is invertible. What happens if you multiply both sides of the equation, on the left, by A-1.

Keep in mind what you would like to end up with, that would imply that 1/λ is an eigenvalue of A-1.

1. What is a linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their relationships. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and linear transformations to solve systems of linear equations and understand geometric concepts such as lines and planes.

2. What is an invertible matrix?

An invertible matrix is a square matrix that has a unique solution for every system of linear equations that it represents. This means that it can be reversed or "inverted" to find the original values of the variables in the system of equations. An invertible matrix must have a non-zero determinant, meaning that its columns are linearly independent.

3. How do you determine if a matrix is invertible?

To determine if a matrix is invertible, you can calculate its determinant. If the determinant is non-zero, then the matrix is invertible. Additionally, you can use the Gaussian elimination method to transform the matrix into its reduced row echelon form. If all of the pivot elements are non-zero, then the matrix is invertible.

4. What is an eigenvalue of a matrix?

An eigenvalue of a matrix is a scalar value that represents a special type of transformation that occurs when the matrix is multiplied by a vector. This transformation is known as an eigenvector, and it represents the direction in which the vector is stretched or compressed by the matrix. The eigenvalues can be calculated by solving the characteristic equation of the matrix.

5. Why are eigenvalues important in linear algebra?

Eigenvalues are important in linear algebra because they provide information about the properties of a matrix and its corresponding linear transformation. They can be used to determine the stability of a system, find the equilibrium points of a system, and analyze the behavior of a system over time. Additionally, eigenvalues are used in many other areas of mathematics, such as differential equations and physics.