Volume of solid with double integrals

In summary, to find the volume of the solid bounded by z=x, y=x, x+y=2, and z=0, we first determine the domain as 0 < x < 1 and x < y < 2-x. Then, we integrate x with respect to x, since the plane of integration is z=x, giving us an answer of x^2/2. Finally, substituting in 1 for x, the final answer is 1/2.
ProPatto16

Homework Statement

find volume of solid bounded by z=x, y=x, x+y=2 and z=0

The Attempt at a Solution

first need to find domain.

for x bounds, when y=0, x=0, when y = x, x+x=2 so x=1 therefore 0 < x < 1
for y bounds, x < y < 2-x

now I am trying to work out what i integrate over. usually its the plane z, so if z=x then the integral is SS x.dxdy

is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
now i know that's the right integral. but when i integrate first with respect to y, there is no y.

so just integrate x with respect to x which is x^2/2 then sub in 1 and the final answer is 1/2?

but I am not sure if its that simple?

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a solid using double integrals?

The formula for calculating the volume of a solid using double integrals is given by: V = ∬R f(x,y) dA, where R is the region in the xy-plane bounded by the curves y = g(x), y = h(x), and x = a, x = b. The function f(x,y) represents the height of the solid at each point (x,y) within the region R.

2. How is the region of integration determined for calculating the volume using double integrals?

The region of integration is determined by identifying the bounds for x and y, which are the curves that define the boundaries of the region in the x and y directions. These curves can be given explicitly or implicitly.

3. Can double integrals be used to find the volume of irregularly shaped solids?

Yes, double integrals can be used to find the volume of irregularly shaped solids. The region of integration can be set up to include all the points within the solid, and the function f(x,y) can be defined to account for the varying height of the solid at each point.

4. What is the difference between using a single integral and a double integral to find the volume of a solid?

A single integral can only be used to find the volume of solids that have a constant cross-sectional area, such as cylinders. Double integrals, on the other hand, can be used to find the volume of solids with varying cross-sectional areas, making them more versatile.

5. Are there any practical applications of using double integrals to find the volume of solids?

Yes, there are many practical applications of using double integrals to find the volume of solids in fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. For example, double integrals can be used to calculate the volume of a dam or the volume of a three-dimensional object in computer graphics.