Perfect Derivative: Line Integral & Why Equal to Zero

• Thread starter funcosed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation is about the concept of a perfect derivative and why the line integral around a closed loop of a perfect derivative is equal to zero. The speaker suggests that a perfect derivative may refer to an example of a line integral in which the function being integrated is the derivative of another function. They also mention the fundamental theorem of calculus and how it would apply to such a line integral on a closed loop. The speaker also mentions that they were unable to find a definition of the term perfect derivative, but it was used in their textbook in the derivation of the circulation theorem.
funcosed

Homework Statement

Could someone explain what a perfect derivative is and why the line integral around a closed loop of a perfect derivative is equal to zero.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never heard of the term perfect derivative before, but, from your problem, it sounds like you a referring to an example of a line integral in a field in which the function you are integrating happens to be the derivative of another function:[tex]\oint f dx[/tex]where either:[tex]f = \frac {dF} {dx} [/tex] or: [tex]f = \nabla \cdot \textbf{F}[/tex]In either case, think about what the fundamental theorem of calculus would imply for a line integral of such a function on a closed loop. If this wasn't what you meant, my mistake, let me know.

Last edited:
Its the case of grad(F) so I guess it means after integrating on the closed loop, when evaluating the limits a and b, we have a = b so its just zero.

I can't find a definition of the term perfect differential, but it was used in my text, which is http://books.google.com/books?id=fh...resnum=4&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false", in the derivation of circulation theorem on p.88

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Perfect Derivative?

A Perfect Derivative is a type of derivative that is smooth and continuous, meaning it has no abrupt changes or discontinuities. It is also infinitely differentiable, meaning the derivative can be taken an infinite number of times at any given point.

2. What is a Line Integral?

A Line Integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the total change in a scalar or vector field along a given path. It involves breaking down a curve or surface into small sections and calculating the sum of the changes in the field along each section.

3. Why is the Perfect Derivative of a Line Integral equal to zero?

The Perfect Derivative of a Line Integral is equal to zero because the Perfect Derivative is continuous and smooth, meaning there are no abrupt changes in the function. This, combined with the fact that the Line Integral is calculated by breaking down a curve or surface into small sections, results in the total change being equal to zero.

4. What is the significance of a Perfect Derivative being equal to zero?

The significance of a Perfect Derivative being equal to zero is that it indicates a smooth and continuous function with no abrupt changes or discontinuities. This is often used in real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, to model and analyze systems that are in a state of equilibrium or stability.

5. How is the concept of Perfect Derivative and Line Integral used in real-world applications?

The concept of Perfect Derivative and Line Integral is used in various real-world applications, such as in physics to calculate work done by a force, in engineering to calculate fluid flow rates, and in finance to calculate the change in value of a stock portfolio. It is also used in vector calculus to solve optimization problems and to analyze systems in a state of equilibrium or stability.