Shrinking and turning arrows

• Thread starter BiBi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turning
In summary, Richard Feynman discusses the concept of multiplying arrows of photons in his book QED. He explains that the shrinking and turning of the arrows is a result of complex arithmetic, where the product has a smaller length and a rotation equal to the sum of the angles of the two factors. This is why Feynman refers to these amplitudes as "little arrows" rather than complex numbers. He also notes that determining the specific amounts and numbers for shrinking and turning is not discussed in detail, as it is not a crucial aspect of the concept.
BiBi
In Richard Feynman's book QED, when writing about multiplying arrows of photons (on page 61 if you have the book handy)he shrinks and turns them at specific numbers, and though I understand why and how it's effective, I don't understand how he determined to shrink and turn the arrows by those specific amounts. If anyone knows, when shrinking and turning arrows, how you come up with those amounts and numbers I would be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
The shrinking and turning of the arrows is a feature of the complex arithmetic that Feynman didn't want to get into, which is why he chose to speak of the amplitudes as "little arrows" rather than complex numbers. If you have two complex numbers they can be written [tex]u cos \theta + iu sin \theta[/tex] and [tex]v cos \phi + iv sin \phi[/tex], where u and v give the lengths and the angles are the ones the two vectors make with the real axis.
If you multiply them you get after simplification [tex]uv cos(\theta + \phi) + iuv sin (\theta + \phi)[/tex]. So the product has length equal to the products of the two factors and its angle is the sum of theirs. Since the lengths were less than 1 to begin with, the product uv is smaller still, therefore the product is shorter than the factors. And the sum of the angles gives the rotation.

thank you so much! I've been asking my friends for almost a week now, but no one had done QED for a while, if at all. thanks again.

1. How does shrinking an arrow affect its flight?

Shrinking an arrow can potentially change its flight trajectory and accuracy. This is because a smaller arrow will have less surface area and weight, causing it to experience less air resistance and potentially travel faster and farther.

2. Can turning arrows improve accuracy?

Yes, turning arrows can improve accuracy by reducing the effects of wind and air resistance. By turning the arrow and aligning the fletching with the bowstring, the arrow will fly straighter and more accurately towards its intended target.

3. Is it better to shrink or turn arrows?

The choice between shrinking and turning arrows ultimately depends on personal preference and the desired outcome. Shrinking arrows can improve speed and distance, while turning arrows can improve accuracy. It is best to experiment and see which option works best for you.

4. How can I shrink arrows at home?

To shrink arrows at home, you will need a heat source and a heat-resistant container. Place the arrows in the container and apply heat evenly to the entire shaft, being careful not to overheat and damage the arrows. Once the arrows have shrunk, allow them to cool and check their straightness before use.

5. Can arrows be turned more than once?

It is possible to turn arrows more than once, but it is not recommended. Each time an arrow is turned, it weakens the shaft and can affect its durability and accuracy. It is best to only turn arrows when necessary and replace them when they become too worn.