Is this PF or something else?

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary: The "Preview Post" button every few minutes may help, but you are still at risk of losing your post if it exceeds the time limit.The "Preview Post" button every few minutes may help, but you are still at risk of losing your post if it exceeds the time limit.
zoobyshoe
Lately PF seems to refresh itself while I'm trying to compose a post and the whole post is lost. It's becoming irritating. I haven't noticed any kind of automatic refresh anywhere else online. It seems to only happen here while I'm composing a post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
I haven't run across this problem. Is it persistent?
Thanks for responding!

It seems to have started about two weeks ago. It seems time dependent: I get about ten minutes to type a reply, then the page automatically refreshes, wiping out what I've written. I often take longer than ten minutes, especially when I'm checking references in another tab or hunting up a url or bunch of them. It hasn't happened today, but I haven't spent so much time on any post today. FWIW, I haven't had the problem when spending a long time on e-mail replys. Only here.

Any chance you accidentally hit Ctrl-R while typing?

berkeman said:
Any chance you accidentally hit Ctrl-R while typing?
That combination of keys doesn't seem to be near others I might use, no. But I was wondering if I am doing something I don't realize to cause it.

Ygggdrasil said:
If you use firefox, there's a useful add-on that can help recover text entered into reply boxes and forms:

http://lazarus.interclue.com/
Thanks for the suggestion.

zoobyshoe said:
Lately PF seems to refresh itself while I'm trying to compose a post and the whole post is lost. It's becoming irritating. I haven't noticed any kind of automatic refresh anywhere else online. It seems to only happen here while I'm composing a post.
I haven't noticed automatic refreshes (maybe I'm not exceeding the time limit), but there's always, afaik, been a time limit wrt composing and submitting PF posts. It used to be that if you exceeded the time limit, then what you wrote would only be temporarily lost, that is, you could recover it by going back in your browser's history. But now that doesn't seem to be the case.

One solution is to simply compose long posts (which might also involve some research) offline in a simple text editor like notepad -- then hit the "quote" or "new reply" button and copy/paste.

Another solution is to simply hit the "Preview Post" button every few minutes.

ThomasT said:
I haven't noticed automatic refreshes (maybe I'm not exceeding the time limit), but there's always, afaik, been a time limit wrt composing and submitting PF posts. It used to be that if you exceeded the time limit, then what you wrote would only be temporarily lost, that is, you could recover it by going back in your browser's history. But now that doesn't seem to be the case.

One solution is to simply compose long posts (which might also involve some research) offline in a simple text editor like notepad -- then hit the "quote" or "new reply" button and copy/paste.

Another solution is to simply hit the "Preview Post" button every few minutes.
I recall the problem used to be that if you didn't click the "remember me" box, you could be automatically logged out while composing a long post. When you then when to submit it, you'd get a message that you were logged out and the post would go into oblivion. This time limit is a new and different thing that I don't think I encountered before two/three weeks ago. I've been taking a long time to write posts since I joined, so that's not recent. I am sure I have started posts, gone out for two hours to have coffee, come back, finished them and submitted them without problem, in fact.

At any rate, your suggested solution is what I've already been doing today.

zoobyshoe said:
I recall the problem used to be that if you didn't click the "remember me" box, you could be automatically logged out while composing a long post. When you then when to submit it, you'd get a message that you were logged out ...
Yes, and then when I would log back in then I could go back a couple pages in the browser's history and click on the page where I was originally logged in and composing, and what I wrote would be there. But for the past year or so (maybe since I began using Mozilla Firefox instead of Microsoft Internet Explorer?), the time limit seems to be about the same, but I'm not able to recover the orginally composed text as I was before.

zoobyshoe said:
... and the post would go into oblivion.
This is what's new in my experience. I haven't yet experienced the automatic refresh that you're talking about, though I have recently (due misjudging the time involved and not saving to clipboard, or hitting the "Preview Post" button) had to rewrite a post or two on learning, after hitting the "Submit Reply" button, that I had been automatically logged out.

zoobyshoe said:
This time limit is a new and different thing that I don't think I encountered before two/three weeks ago.
I'm doing a little experiment with this post.

EDIT (Results of experiment): I did get automatically logged out and then went back to the "reply to topic" page in the browser's history, and what I had written wasn't there. So, I then went to the next page (up) in the history, clicked on it, and got a message saying that the contents would have to be resent, so I clicked on that and my post appeared (that is, what I wrote was posted in the thread).

So there's a time frame to automatic logout which is refreshed via clicking on new threads (and pages), or hitting "Preview Changes" button if composing in the "reply to topic" box. And lost text is recoverable, but not, for me, in quite the same way as it used to be. What seems to me to be different is that, whereas what I was writing used to be recoverable via going back to the original "reply to topic" page, now it's, apparently, necessary to go to the next page (up) in the history (corresponding to where the message would have been posted if I hadn't been automatically logged out).

zoobyshoe said:
I am sure I have started posts, gone out for two hours to have coffee, come back, finished them and submitted them without problem, in fact.
Not me. I always get automatically logged out if I don't refresh the timer.

Last edited:

1. What is PF and how is it different from other conditions?

Pulmonary Fibrosis (PF) is a condition that causes scarring in the lungs, making it difficult for oxygen to pass through and reach the bloodstream. This scarring can lead to shortness of breath, coughing, and fatigue. PF is different from other conditions because it specifically affects the lungs, while other conditions may affect different parts of the body.

2. What are the common symptoms of PF?

The most common symptoms of PF include shortness of breath, a dry cough, fatigue, and chest discomfort. Other symptoms may include unexplained weight loss, loss of appetite, and aching muscles and joints.

3. How is PF diagnosed?

PF can be diagnosed through a combination of physical exams, imaging tests (such as chest X-rays or CT scans), and lung function tests. A biopsy may also be performed to confirm the diagnosis.

4. Is PF a hereditary condition?

While some cases of PF may be caused by genetic factors, the majority of cases are not hereditary. However, having a family member with PF may increase your risk of developing the condition.

5. Is there a cure for PF?

Currently, there is no cure for PF. However, there are treatments available to help manage symptoms and slow down the progression of the disease. These may include medications, oxygen therapy, pulmonary rehabilitation, and in some cases, lung transplant.