LaTeX Font Different from Usual?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Font Latex
In summary, you are using Safari 5.1.1 on a Mac OS X Lion machine and have disabled the STIX fonts which resulted in a modern looking output.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks like STIX fonts instead of cmr. According to the MathJax site settings, both STIX and cm fonts are available, but cm fonts should be preferred.

Edit: see this: https://github.com/mathjax/MathJax/issues/178#issuecomment-2424202
"OS X 10.7 (Lion) ships with the STIX fonts installed, and MathJax will use those in preference to its web-based fonts."

Try using FontBook to disable STIX fonts. (Note that I'm not a Mac user.)

Last edited:
jhae2.718 said:
That looks like STIX fonts instead of cmr. According to the MathJax site settings, both STIX and cm fonts are available, but cm fonts should be preferred.

Edit: see this: https://github.com/mathjax/MathJax/issues/178#issuecomment-2424202
"OS X 10.7 (Lion) ships with the STIX fonts installed, and MathJax will use those in preference to its web-based fonts."

Try using FontBook to disable STIX fonts. (Note that I'm not a Mac user.)

Thanks for looking that up. I had a hunch that maybe my computer was just displaying it using the wrong fonts, but I did not have the knowledge or savvy to know specifically what those fonts were and what to do about it. I opted Font Book and searched for STIX and disabled all of the font families that came up. The new result looks like this:

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4958/screenshot20120129at841.png [Broken]

It certainly looks like computer modern. Does it seem comparable to how LaTeX looks in your browser?

Thanks again! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like computer modern to me.

Glad to be of help.

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The font used in the first image appears to be a serif font, while the second image shows a sans-serif font. This could be due to a difference in the default font settings on your computer or browser.

In LaTeX, the default font used is Computer Modern, which is a serif font. However, it is possible to change the font to a different one, such as Arial (a sans-serif font). This could be the reason for the difference in fonts between the two images.

It is also possible that the first image was created using a different version of LaTeX or a different package that may have a different default font setting.

In any case, the font used in LaTeX should not affect the functionality or accuracy of the mathematical equations being displayed. If you have any further concerns, please let us know and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for using PF!

Best,

1. Why does LaTeX use different fonts compared to other word processing programs?

LaTeX uses different fonts because it is a typesetting language, not a word processing program. It focuses on creating professional and aesthetically pleasing documents, and the choice of fonts plays a crucial role in achieving this goal.

2. How do I change the default font in LaTeX?

To change the default font in LaTeX, you can use the \renewcommand command. For example, \renewcommand{\familydefault}{\sfdefault} will change the default font to sans-serif. You can also use packages such as fontspec to access a wider range of fonts.

3. Can I use any font in LaTeX?

Yes, you can use almost any font in LaTeX as long as it is available on your system. You can either use fonts installed on your computer or import them using the fontspec package. However, it is recommended to use fonts that are designed specifically for LaTeX to ensure compatibility.

4. Why do some fonts in LaTeX look different from their usual appearance?

In LaTeX, fonts are designed to be used in a specific way, such as for headers, body text, or mathematical equations. Therefore, some fonts may appear differently than their usual appearance in other programs. Additionally, LaTeX has its own font encoding system, so some fonts may need to be specially designed for use in LaTeX to ensure proper rendering.

5. Can I customize the font in LaTeX?

Yes, you can customize the font in LaTeX using various commands and packages. You can change the font style, size, color, and more. However, it is important to keep in mind that too many font changes can make a document look cluttered and unprofessional, so it is best to use them sparingly and intentionally.