Build Your Own Telescope - Get the Details Now!

In summary, a conversation between morp and Artman about building telescopes took place. Morp shared that he had built his own telescope and Artman asked for more details about the design and materials used. Zooby also joined in the conversation, sharing a website with helpful advice for new astronomers. Zooby mentioned his interest in the process of building telescopes and his plan to work his way up to a larger one. Artman shared that he was in the process of building his first homemade telescope and asked about the type of mirror used. Bill, also known as The Evil One, joined the conversation and mentioned his foray into the radio realm.
Artman
Let's get the new format with a somewhat general question.

How many of you have built your own telescope?

Give us some details. Did you do anything different or inovative with your design, or pretty much by the book?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I did.

Morp

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by morp
I did.

Morp

Thanks for getting us started, now how about some details. Is it a reflector or refractor or Mak type? What's the aperture, F Ratio, materials, did you make your mirrors, or lenses or buy them, etc?

Artman

When last we spoke about this
subject you will recall I mention-
ed being attracted to the larger
home built telescopes I'd seen
on a site about Dobsonian Mounts.
You were amused because it seemed
I had developed "aperture fever"
without ever having owned a scope
at all.

I found this site:

Advice for New Astronomers
Address:http://www.scopereviews.com/begin.html

when I was poking around, and I
think you would find it well done.
It's aimed at helping people make
an informed decision on what to
buy, rather than build, but much
of what he says would apply in
either case.

Anyway, I was amused, after your
observation on my apparent leap
from casual interest directly
into wanting my own private Mt.
Palomar, with no scopes in between
to find he had included an essay
on his site called Avoiding
"Aperture Fever"

-Zooby

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks zoobyshoe,

There is lots of good advice on that site.

As for avoiding aperture fever, it depends on your interest. Mine is more in the process of designing and building the scope, even more than using them, so I am working my way up to a big one by buiding all of the intermediates. (Don't tell my wife about my plan :smile: .)

in the process

I am in the process of asembling my very first home-made scope. Have some materials (frame, etc.) but will need to finish the expansion to my observatory before completing due to size (3.2 m) etc. My first one..always depended on meade and others before. will be..interesting..

Are you making your own mirror, or buying one already figured, or is it a refractor?

I've never made a mirror for a scope, but I make most of the other components, such as the spider, the focuser, the Mirror Cell, the tube (wood or PVC) the cradle and the base.

You spoke of enlarging the observatory, the 3.2m isn't the aperture is it?! That's a pretty long tube length also. Good luck with the project. Let us know how it goes.

3.22 is the exact aperture

Originally posted by Artman
Are you making your own mirror, or buying one already figured, or is it a refractor?

I've never made a mirror for a scope, but I make most of the other components, such as the spider, the focuser, the Mirror Cell, the tube (wood or PVC) the cradle and the base.

You spoke of enlarging the observatory, the 3.2m isn't the aperture is it?! That's a pretty long tube length also. Good luck with the project. Let us know how it goes.

We currently have a few optical scopes, but this will be my first foray into the radio realm. www.hjfso.org

laters:

Bill
AKA: The Evil One

1. What materials do I need to build my own telescope?

The materials needed can vary based on the type of telescope you want to build, but some common materials include: a primary mirror, a secondary mirror, eyepieces, a telescope tube, a mount, and tools for assembly.

2. How much does it cost to build a telescope?

The cost can also vary depending on the type and size of telescope you want to build, but it can range from around $50 for a basic homemade telescope to several hundred dollars for a more advanced model.

3. Is it difficult to build a telescope?

Building a telescope can be a challenging but rewarding project. It requires some technical knowledge and precision, but with the right instructions and materials, it is achievable for many people.

4. How long does it take to build a telescope?

The time it takes to build a telescope can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the design and your level of experience. It can take anywhere from a few hours to several days to complete a homemade telescope.

5. Can I use my homemade telescope for stargazing?

Yes, you can definitely use a homemade telescope for stargazing. However, the quality of the images may not be as high as a commercially purchased telescope, so it may not be suitable for more advanced stargazing activities.