Understanding the Left-Hand Rule in Electrodynamics

In summary, the left hand rule, also known as Fleming's left hand rule, is a tool used in Electrodynamics to predict the motion of a wire carrying current in a magnetic field. It involves pointing your thumb in the direction of the force, your first finger in the direction of the magnetic field, and your second finger in the direction of the current. This rule is illustrated through the equation \vec{F_{em}}=I \vec{l}\times \vec{B} and can be found on the website www.le.ac.uk/se/centres/sci/selfstudy/mam12.htm. However, it is important to remember that accidents may happen and people may forget the rule, so it is always best to double check
Reshma
Can someone explain me the left-hand rule in Electrodynamics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Reshma,

the left hand rule, known as Fleming's left hand rule, is used to predict the motion of a wire carrying current when the wire is placed in a magnetic field. As you know, the current in the wire will induce a magnetic field and that magnetic field will react with the magnetic field of the magnet. the left hand rule helps you predict the movement of the wire.

Point your thumb straight out, and use your first finger to point in the direction of the magnetic field, and your second finger in the direction of the current. Your thumb will be pointing in the direction of the force experienced by the wire.

visit www.le.ac.uk/se/centres/sci/selfstudy/mam12.htm for a visual illustration (reference)

Reshma said:
Can someone explain me the left-hand rule in Electrodynamics?

Yes,how about aplying the definition?

[tex] \vec{F_{em}}=I\vec{B}\times \vec{l} [/tex]

where [itex] \vec{l} [/itex] has the sense of the current.
Accidents may happen and people may lose their fingers...The cross product may be forgotten...But,hey,Fleming's stupid rule may be forgotten as well.

Daniel.

Thanks for the help :-)

dextercioby said:
[tex] \vec{F_{em}}=I\vec{B}\times \vec{l} [/tex]
I think you meant:
[tex] \vec{F_{em}}=I \vec{l}\times \vec{B} [/tex]

1. What is the left-hand rule in electrodynamics?

The left-hand rule in electrodynamics is a rule used to determine the direction of the magnetic field created by a moving charged particle. It is based on the principle that the direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic force acting on the particle.

2. How does the left-hand rule work?

The left-hand rule works by using the thumb, index finger, and middle finger of the left hand to represent the direction of the current, magnetic field, and magnetic force, respectively. When the fingers are positioned in a specific way, the direction in which the middle finger points represents the direction of the magnetic field.

3. Why is the left-hand rule important in electrodynamics?

The left-hand rule is important in electrodynamics because it allows scientists and engineers to determine the direction of the magnetic field in various situations, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It also helps in understanding the relationship between electrical currents and magnetic fields.

4. Are there any variations of the left-hand rule?

Yes, there are variations of the left-hand rule depending on the specific situation or application. For example, the Fleming's left-hand rule is used to determine the direction of the force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field, while the Maxwell's corkscrew rule is used to determine the direction of an electromagnetic wave.

5. Can the left-hand rule be used in all situations?

No, the left-hand rule is only applicable in situations where there is a current-carrying wire or a moving charged particle. In cases where there is a changing magnetic field or a static magnetic field, different rules or equations must be used to determine the direction of the magnetic field.