How do I find the radix r of equalities?

• Thread starter Ksingh30
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the radix r of equalities by setting up a system of equations and solving them in order to discover the base being used to represent the numbers. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of understanding the concept and not just relying on the solutions to a quadratic equation.
Ksingh30
how do i find the radix r of equalities.
for example how would i find the radix r of
14r + 52r +3r =113r

note:::: the r is a little subscribt on the bottom.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand that the radix is the base being used to represent these numbers? In other words, that radix 10 means base 10 -- our common numbering system?

The number 125 in base 10 can be broken down to
[tex]1 \times 10^2 + 2 \times 10^1 + 5 \times 10^0[/tex]

You can set up a system of equations to represent your equality in that form and solve them to discover the radix.

PS: next time you should post your homework questions in the homework forum.

ok then what would the r be in the above problem

In my example, the "r" is 10.

In your example, "r" is what you have to figure out. You don't want me to deny you all that fun, do you?

I'll get you started, though. You have the number "113" in some base r. Let me see you write that number in the same format as I used to write my 125, only where I used 10, you use r.

so 113=1X10^2 + 1X10^1 + 3X10^0 so in this case r also = 10.
but how doe 14r +52r + 3r = 113r?

im sorry for asking so many questions, but my prof literraly doent speak english and to top it off he stutters for about 5 sec on every word. and to top that off he's in his 80s.

You missed my point. In your [itex]113_r[/itex], r is NOT 10.

But just as I split up [itex]125_{10}[/itex] into a sum of powers of 10, you can split up [itex]113_r[/itex] into a sum of powers of r. And you can similarly split up the other numbers in your equation. See what you can do with that.

(1*r+4)+(5*r+2)+3=1*r2+1*r+3

Solve for r and make sure r>5.

so would r be 6 or -1 in that case.

Do you think it could be -1?

14r + 52r +3r =113r[\sub]

is exactly the same as
r+ 4+ 5r+ 2+ 3= 1r2+ r+ 3 in base 10. Can you solve that for r?

so in this example r is equal to 6 right

Yeah, but do you understand the concept that just because -1 is one of the solutions to the quadratic equation doesn't mean that it is a valid solution to the problem you were solving?

yes. Thanks to anyone who spent time helping me out. I really appericiate it. :smile:

1. How do I determine the radix r of an equality?

The radix r of an equality can be determined by looking at the number of unique digits used in the equation. For example, if the equation contains only 0-9 digits, the radix r would be 10. If the equation contains letters A-F in addition to 0-9, the radix r would be 16.

2. Is there a specific method or formula for finding the radix r?

Yes, there are multiple methods and formulas that can be used to find the radix r of an equality. One common method is to convert the equation into decimal form and see how many unique digits are used. Other formulas involve manipulating the equation to find the value of r.

3. Can the radix r be a decimal or fractional number?

No, the radix r must be a positive integer. This is because the radix r represents the base of the number system being used and it cannot be a decimal or fractional value.

4. Are there different radices for different types of equations?

Yes, the radix r can vary depending on the type of equation. For example, equations involving binary numbers (using only 0 and 1) have a radix r of 2, while equations involving hexadecimal numbers (using 0-9 and A-F) have a radix r of 16.

5. Can the radix r change within the same equation?

No, the radix r remains constant within the same equation. It represents the base of the number system being used and cannot change within the same equation. However, different parts of the equation may have different radices, such as when using different number systems for different variables.