How can the Universe be flat and accelerating in its expansion?

In summary, a flat Universe can have a fate of slowing down to zero expansion as time goes to infinity, but with the presence of dark energy, the expansion can accelerate and the Universe can still be flat. This goes against previous beliefs, as before the discovery of dark energy, it was thought that a flat Universe would always be open and not experience acceleration. The presence of dark energy can change the fate of a flat Universe, allowing it to continue expanding forever even when it is closed.
*FaerieLight*
I've heard that a flat Universe is one where there is enough density in the Universe to prevent a big crunch or ever-accelerating expansion, and that the fate of such a Universe is that the expansion slows down to zero as time goes to infinity. I have also heard that the Universe is accelerating in its expansion, and yet it is widely believed that the Universe is flat. How is this possible? If it is accelerating in its expansion, shouldn't it be open?

Thanks!

Space news on Phys.org
*FaerieLight* said:
I've heard that a flat Universe is one where there is enough density in the Universe to prevent a big crunch or ever-accelerating expansion, and that the fate of such a Universe is that the expansion slows down to zero as time goes to infinity. I have also heard that the Universe is accelerating in its expansion, and yet it is widely believed that the Universe is flat. How is this possible? If it is accelerating in its expansion, shouldn't it be open?

Thanks!

"that the fate of such a Universe is that the expansion slows down to zero as time goes to infinity."

This is not correct. The expansion of an open universe could continue indefinitely. At this time it seems to be accelerating, which was quite unexpected.

*FaerieLight* said:

Thanks!

I think that you have been looking at pre-1998 references that don't take into account dark energy/cosmological constant. When there is no dark energy or cosmological constant, a spatially flat universe is right on the boundary between: 1) closed and open; 2) expanding forever or eventually collapsing. Without dark energy (cosmological constant), the expansion of the universe decelerates.

With dark energy, a spatially flat universe is still on the boundary between closed and open, but if there is enough dark energy, the expansion of the universe accelerates, and the universe can expand forever, even when it is closed.

What is the concept of a flat universe?

A flat universe refers to the overall shape and geometry of the universe. It is based on the idea that the universe is infinite and has a constant density. This means that no matter where you are in the universe, the average density of matter and energy will be the same.

How can the universe be both flat and accelerating in its expansion?

This is possible due to the theory of dark energy. Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is believed to make up about 70% of the universe. It has a repulsive effect on matter, causing the universe to expand at an accelerating rate. This expansion keeps the overall geometry of the universe flat.

What evidence supports the idea of a flat universe?

One major piece of evidence is the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation. This is leftover radiation from the Big Bang that permeates the entire universe. The patterns and fluctuations in the CMB support the idea of a flat universe. Other evidence includes measurements of the cosmic inflation, the distribution of galaxies, and observations of distant supernovae.

Why is the concept of a flat universe important?

Understanding the shape and geometry of the universe is crucial in understanding its past and predicting its future. A flat universe also supports the idea of the cosmological principle, which states that the universe looks the same no matter where you are in it. This has important implications for our understanding of the laws of physics and the origins of the universe.

Are there any competing theories to explain the flatness and acceleration of the universe?

There are alternative theories, such as the idea of a closed universe (curved shape) or the concept of modified gravity. However, these theories do not have as much support from observational data as the theory of dark energy and a flat universe. Further research and observations are needed to fully understand the true nature of the universe and its expansion.