Rate Of Change Of Current In An Inductor

In summary: Its asks for the rate of change of current at t=0. I am aware that there is no current through the inductor at t=0 due to the inductor opposing the current change (back emf etc) but there IS a current rate of change at t=0 and it can be calculated as: initial di/dt = E/L Amps. If I use this I get 50A/s as an initial current rate of change. How can this be shown graphically on the growth curve and is the above initial di/dt equation enough to satisfy the 'confirm by differentiation' statement in the question?Thanks in advance.
Spurs4ever

Homework Statement

A coil has self inductance L of 2 Henrys, and a resistance R of 100 Ohms. A DC supply voltage E of 100 volts is applied to the coil.

Show graphically the approximate rate at which the current increases at the moment of switching on (t=0) and after 10ms.

Confirm your results by differentiation.

Homework Equations

Instantaneous current: i=(E/R)(1-e^-Rt/L)
Slope of a tangent: y2-y1/x2-x1
di/dt: i(b)-i(a)/t(b)-t(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry guys, would not normally ask for help but I am stuck here and we have broken up for Xmas so I cannot ask anyone at the college I go to. Anyway if someone could have a quick look over this and point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

* I worked out the time constant to be L/R = 20ms

* I worked out the maximum circuit current to be E/R = 1A

* I created an exponential growth curve showing the inductor current as a function of time using the instantaneous current equation above and taking points at every ms to 15ms then every 5 to 45ms (to show at least 2 time constants on the curve)

* Using the curve I plotted a tangent line across the point at 10ms. I took two points and used the slope equation y2-y1/x2-x1 to calculate the approximate slope at 10ms (30.8A/s)

* I took point A at 10ms and point B at 15ms. I took the co-ordinates for A & B and worked out the average rate of current change between the two points as di/dt = 26.8A/s. I then moved B closer to A and re-calculated. I did this for lesser and lesser values of B and created a table. As B approached A I could confidently predict through di/dt that that A would equal 30A/s at the point of 10ms.

My questions...

1) Can I assume that the simple operation of dy/dx above is enough in regards to differentiation to confirm the graphical approximation I made before it? Or am I looking for another method? (Relating to the 'confirm your results by differentiation' comment in the question)

2) Its asks for the rate of change of current at t=0. I am aware that there is no current through the inductor at t=0 due to the inductor opposing the current change (back emf etc) but there IS a current rate of change at t=0 and it can be calculated as: initial di/dt = E/L Amps. If I use this I get 50A/s as an initial current rate of change. How can this be shown graphically on the growth curve and is the above initial di/dt equation enough to satisfy the 'confirm by differentiation' statement in the question?

Thanks in advance.
Simon

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Spurs4ever said:

Homework Statement

A coil has self inductance L of 2 Henrys, and a resistance R of 100 Ohms. A DC supply voltage E of 100 volts is applied to the coil.

Show graphically the approximate rate at which the current increases at the moment of switching on (t=0) and after 10ms.

Confirm your results by differentiation.

Homework Equations

Instantaneous current: i=(E/R)(1-e^-Rt/L)
Slope of a tangent: y2-y1/x2-x1
di/dt: i(b)-i(a)/t(b)-t(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry guys, would not normally ask for help but I am stuck here and we have broken up for Xmas so I cannot ask anyone at the college I go to. Anyway if someone could have a quick look over this and point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

* I worked out the time constant to be L/R = 20ms

* I worked out the maximum circuit current to be E/R = 1A

* I created an exponential growth curve showing the inductor current as a function of time using the instantaneous current equation above and taking points at every ms to 15ms then every 5 to 45ms (to show at least 2 time constants on the curve)

* Using the curve I plotted a tangent line across the point at 10ms. I took two points and used the slope equation y2-y1/x2-x1 to calculate the approximate slope at 10ms (30.8mA/s)

* I took point A at 10ms and point B at 15ms. I took the co-ordinates for A & B and worked out the average rate of current change between the two points as di/dt = 26.8mAs. I then moved B closer to A and re-calculated. I did this for lesser and lesser values of B and created a table. As B approached A I could confidently predict through di/dt that that A would equal 30mA/s at the point of 10ms.

My questions...

1) Can I assume that the simple operation of dy/dx above is enough in regards to differentiation to confirm the graphical approximation I made before it? Or am I looking for another method? (Relating to the 'confirm your results by differentiation' comment in the question)

2) Its asks for the rate of change of current at t=0. I am aware that there is no current through the inductor at t=0 due to the inductor opposing the current change (back emf etc) but there IS a current rate of change at t=0 and it can be calculated as: initial di/dt = E/L Amps. If I use this I get 50A/s as an initial current rate of change. How can this be shown graphically on the growth curve and is the above initial di/dt equation enough to satisfy the 'confirm by differentiation' statement in the question?

Thanks in advance.
Simon

You are probably in the wrong forum here. I think Introductory Physics would be better. The only problems I see is with the units you are getting for the graphical approximation. For example you predict the dI/dt at 10ms to be 30mA/s. I get approximately 30A/s. Can you check how you are getting units like mA/s? I'll bet you've got the time axis labelled in seconds instead of milliseconds.

Thank you for your responses, maybe a mod could move the question elsewhere if this is not the correct place?

As for answering the question in your reply...

I am an idiot its official! Schoolboy error!

The graph is labelled in ms, but I was taking the reading on the calculator to be mA/s not A/s. No idea why, probably due to the fact that I have been trying to work this out for 4 days now.

That now explains how there is an initial di/dt of 50A but again how to show this graphically? Or is it a case of creating the old right angled triangle and di/dt from the two points again?

Spurs4ever said:
Thank you for your responses, maybe a mod could move the question elsewhere if this is not the correct place?

As for answering the question in your reply...

I am an idiot its official! Schoolboy error!

The graph is labelled in ms, but I was taking the reading on the calculator to be mA/s not A/s. No idea why, probably due to the fact that I have been trying to work this out for 4 days now.

That now explains how there is an initial di/dt of 50A but again how to show this graphically? Or is it a case of creating the old right angled triangle and di/dt from the two points again?

Right. The same way as you did before. Pick a point close to the initial point and find the slope of the secant line connecting the two points.

Excellent, thank you ever so much. I know I was on the right lines, just needed pointing in the right direction.

Just to clarify, is the differentiation I have included enough to cover that part of the question would you think?

Spurs4ever said:
Excellent, thank you ever so much. I know I was on the right lines, just needed pointing in the right direction.

Just to clarify, is the differentiation I have included enough to cover that part of the question would you think?

I think so. Graphing gives you approximate numbers for the rate of change. Differentiation gives you exact ones. You calculated di/dt at 10ms and got about 30A/s, right?

Yes, calculated di/dt from 10.25ms in increments to 10.001ms and was presented with 30A/s every time so took that to prove that 10ms would equal 30A/s too.

1. What is the rate of change of current in an inductor?

The rate of change of current in an inductor, also known as the "inductive reactance," is a measure of how quickly the current passing through an inductor changes in response to a change in voltage. It is typically measured in ohms and is directly proportional to the frequency of the alternating current passing through the inductor.

2. How is the rate of change of current in an inductor calculated?

The rate of change of current in an inductor can be calculated using the formula XL = 2πfL, where XL is the inductive reactance, f is the frequency in hertz, and L is the inductance in henrys. This formula is derived from Ohm's law and the equation for the inductive reactance.

3. How does the rate of change of current in an inductor affect the overall circuit?

The rate of change of current in an inductor has a significant impact on the overall circuit. It can cause a phase shift between the current and voltage, leading to a lag or lead in the current. Additionally, it can act as a resistance in the circuit, affecting the overall impedance and power dissipation.

4. What factors can affect the rate of change of current in an inductor?

The rate of change of current in an inductor can be influenced by several factors, including the inductance value, the frequency of the current passing through the inductor, the presence of other components in the circuit, and the physical size and shape of the inductor. Temperature can also affect the inductance and, therefore, the rate of change of current in an inductor.

5. How is the rate of change of current in an inductor used in practical applications?

The rate of change of current in an inductor is used in a variety of practical applications, including inductors in power supplies, motors, and electronic filters. It is also a crucial factor in designing and analyzing electrical circuits, as it can affect the stability, efficiency, and performance of the circuit. Additionally, the rate of change of current in an inductor is used in the design of electromagnetic devices, such as transformers and generators.