Second-Order Homogeneous Linear Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses an initial value problem and the process of solving for the constants C1 and C2 in the resulting equation. The solution involves finding the values of C1 and C2 using the given initial values and checking them in the equation, which leads to the final values of C1 and C2 as 1/3e^-5 and -e/3, respectively.
andrewdavid
I have this intial value problem: y''-4y'-5y=0, y(1)=0, y'(1)=2. My AUX equation is r^2-4r-5=0. I factor and get r=5, r=-1 and my equation becomes y(x)=C1e^(5x)+C2e^(-1x) (C1 and C2 are constants). I took the derivative of y(x) and then tried to use my initial value's to solve for C1 and C2. I got C1e^5+C2e^(-1)=0 and 5C1e^5-C2e^(-1)=2. For some reason when I solve for C1 or C2 and put them back in the equations it doesn't check out. I'd appreciate any advice to help me find what C1 and C2 are. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] C_1e^5 + C_2e^{-1} = 0, \ 5C_1e^5 - C_2e^{-1} = 2 \Longrightarrow 6C_1e^5 = 2 \Longrightarrow C_1 = \frac{1}{3}e^{-5}[/tex]

so

[tex] C_1e^5 + C_2e^{-1} = \frac{1}{3}+C_2e^{-1}=0 \Longrightarrow C_2 = -\frac{e}{3}.[/tex]

It looks like you are on the right track with your solution for the second-order homogeneous linear equation. However, when you took the derivative of y(x), you made a mistake. The derivative of C1e^(5x) is not C1e^5, it is 5C1e^(5x). Similarly, the derivative of C2e^(-1x) is not -C2e^(-1), it is -C2e^(-1x). This error is causing your initial value equations to not check out.

To solve for C1 and C2, you can use the initial value equations as follows:

y(1) = C1e^(5*1) + C2e^(-1*1) = C1e^5 + C2e^(-1) = 0
y'(1) = 5C1e^(5*1) - C2e^(-1*1) = 5C1e^5 - C2e^(-1) = 2

Now you have two equations with two unknowns (C1 and C2). You can solve this system of equations using substitution or elimination to find the values of C1 and C2. Once you have those values, you can plug them back into your original equation to check if they satisfy the initial value problem.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem!

What is a second-order homogeneous linear equation?

A second-order homogeneous linear equation is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative and is equal to zero. It follows the general form of y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = 0, where p(x) and q(x) are functions of x and y is the dependent variable.

What makes an equation "homogeneous"?

An equation is considered homogeneous if all of its terms have the same degree. In the case of a second-order homogeneous linear equation, all terms have a degree of 2.

What does it mean for an equation to be "linear"?

A linear equation is one in which the dependent variable (y) is directly proportional to the independent variable (x). In other words, when the independent variable changes, the dependent variable changes by a constant amount.

What is the difference between a first-order and a second-order homogeneous linear equation?

A first-order homogeneous linear equation involves a first derivative, while a second-order homogeneous linear equation involves a second derivative. This means that the second-order equation is more complex and may have more than one solution.

How are second-order homogeneous linear equations used in science?

Second-order homogeneous linear equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems that exhibit oscillatory behavior, such as a mass-spring system. They are also used in differential equations, which are used to describe many natural phenomena in science and engineering.