How Fans Move Air: Propeller vs. Blade Shape

• Thread starter bnvbnv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Fan
In summary, the movement of fan blades in a circular manner creates pressure on one side and reduces pressure on the other, causing air to move. The shape of the blades plays a role in determining the direction of the air flow, which is mostly forwards due to the angle of the blades. The air also accelerates as it passes through the blades and then continues to accelerate as it moves from high pressure to low pressure. This results in a circular and/or outwards flow of air. In an enclosed room, the air does not travel backwards through the fan, but rather around it due to its inertia.
bnvbnv
If fan blades move in a circular way how is the air moving towards you (in front of fan) ?

Also propeller and fan have different shapes, does it mean they work different?

Physics news on Phys.org
They create pressure on one side and reduce pressure on the other. A difference is pressure is what causes air to move. The shape of the blade pushes air on one side, creating higher pressure. On the other side a void is left, creating low pressure.

Let's say u sit in front of a fan.
In a fan like that if I am not wrong it is moving in the right direction (clockwise). By the shape of blades I assume they create high pressure on a side closer to you but it would mean air would travel backward to a side further away from you (from high pressure to low pressure). I don't get it (or my reasoning is wrong).
http://www.mh-china.com/UploadFile/2006112014312518080.jpg

There is some outwards flow, but most of the flow will be forwards. There is an increase in pressure from behind the fan to in front of the fan, but the blades move fast enough to capture the air and force it to flow forwards instead of backwards despite the pressure jump. Behind the fan, the air accelerates towards the fan as it's pressure decreases below ambient. As the flow passes through the fan blades, the pressure increases above ambient, but the speed of the air right at the fan blades remains about the same. Then the air continues to accelerate as it's pressure decreases from above ambient back to ambient.

As to why the air flows forwards instead of outwards, it's because of the angle of the blades. If the angle of the blades was perpendicular to the direction of rotation, the flow would be outwards and not forwards, but the angle is much less than this, so the direction of the "pull" and the "push" from the blades is mostly forwards and somewhat circular and/or outwards.

Last edited:
Hi bnvbnv
welcome to the forums

By the shape of blades I assume they create high pressure on a side closer to you but it would mean air would travel backward to a side further away from you (from high pressure to low pressure). I don't get it (or my reasoning is wrong).

it can't trave back because of the air that is still getting pushed forward from behind it

instead it moves out into the lower pressure area where you are sitting :smile:

Dave

bnvbnv said:
it would mean air would travel backward to a side further away from you (from high pressure to low pressure).
Air has inertia so it cannot immediately turn around, when it passes the fan. In an enclosed room it does travel back, just not through the fan but around it.

1. What is the main difference between a propeller and a blade shape fan?

The main difference between a propeller and a blade shape fan is the design of the blades. A propeller fan has long, narrow blades that are angled to create a larger surface area for air movement, while a blade shape fan has shorter, wider blades that are curved to push air in a specific direction.

2. Which type of fan is more efficient at moving air?

In general, propeller fans are more efficient at moving air because of their larger surface area and angled blades. However, the efficiency also depends on factors such as the fan's motor and the shape of the surrounding environment.

3. How do propeller and blade shape fans differ in terms of noise?

Propeller fans tend to be quieter than blade shape fans due to their design. The longer, narrower blades create a smoother airflow, resulting in less noise. Blade shape fans, on the other hand, may produce more noise due to their curved blades and air turbulence.

4. Which type of fan is better for cooling a room?

Both propeller and blade shape fans can effectively cool a room, but they work differently. Propeller fans are better for circulating air and creating a breeze, while blade shape fans are better for directing air in a specific direction. Ultimately, the best fan for cooling a room will depend on the room size, layout, and personal preference.

5. Can the shape of a fan's blades affect its energy consumption?

Yes, the shape of a fan's blades can affect its energy consumption. Generally, propeller fans are more energy-efficient because they require less power to move a larger amount of air. Blade shape fans may use more energy to create a similar level of air movement due to their curved blades and air resistance.