Sure this is easy for you but I dont understand

• Thread starter Neitrino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an observer watching the emission and arrival of light from two points. In special relativity, the time measured by the observer for light to travel from point A to B and back differs only in sign. However, in general relativity, these are two different solutions and the observer may measure different times for light to travel in each direction. This is due to the varying nature of the system and does not contradict the validity of ring laser gyroscopes in general relativity.
Neitrino
I have one question, could you help me please...

Suppose one event is emission of light from some point A, and another event is its arrival to some point B. There is one observer who is watching these events
So and if we write the interval (rewrite it in the way to separate the time term-dx00) we get the quadratic equation with respect to dx00, solving this equation we have to roots (dx00)1, (dx00)2, in SR they differ with the sign only, (it means forward-backward spread of light(from A to B and from B to A)But generally in GR these are two different solutions and in that case does it mean that external observer will say that light takes (dx00)1 time to go from A to B and it will take (dx00)2 time to go backward (from B to A)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Neitrino,

I don't understand your notation, but if the observer is stationary with respect to both location A and location B, then the the time he measures for light to go from A to B or from B to A will be equal.

Neitrino said:
I have one question, could you help me please...

Suppose one event is emission of light from some point A, and another event is its arrival to some point B. There is one observer who is watching these events
So and if we write the interval (rewrite it in the way to separate the time term-dx00) we get the quadratic equation with respect to dx00, solving this equation we have to roots (dx00)1, (dx00)2, in SR they differ with the sign only, (it means forward-backward spread of light(from A to B and from B to A)But generally in GR these are two different solutions and in that case does it mean that external observer will say that light takes (dx00)1 time to go from A to B and it will take (dx00)2 time to go backward (from B to A)?

I think your interpretation of the math may be off. One way of interpreting the math is to say that ring laser gyroscopes can and do work in GR. Another way of interpreting it is that if you have a time varying system, geodesics into the future are not the same into the past.

The metric coefficients will have dx*dt terms only when the system is rotating, or when the system is otherwise evolving in time so that it is not symmetrical with time (as in the metric of a moving mass).

What you are doing is taking a fixed (or perhaps zero) interval of proper time, and computing the coordinates. What you are then noting is that the coordiantes (dx,dt) for an object following some sort of geodesic are different going into the past and into the future. But this isn't surprising when the system itself is varying with time.

Last edited:

1. Why is this concept so difficult for me to understand?

Understanding a concept can be challenging for a variety of reasons. It could be due to a lack of prior knowledge or experience, a difference in learning styles, or simply not enough practice. It's important to identify the specific areas where you are struggling and seek help or resources to address those gaps in understanding.

2. Can you explain this in a simpler way?

As a scientist, I am trained to communicate complex concepts in a straightforward manner. However, every person has a unique learning style and may require a different approach to fully understand a concept. If my explanation is not clear, don't hesitate to ask for further clarification or look for alternative resources that may resonate with you better.

3. How can I improve my understanding of this topic?

Improving understanding takes time and effort. Some helpful strategies include actively engaging with the material, asking questions, practicing problems, and seeking additional resources or support. Remember that understanding is not a one-time event but a continuous process.

4. Is there a simpler version of this concept?

Depending on the complexity of the topic, there may be simpler versions or analogies that can aid in understanding. However, it's important to note that simplifying a concept may also lead to omitting important details. It's best to strive for a comprehensive understanding rather than a simplistic one.

5. How do you approach understanding difficult concepts?

As a scientist, I use critical thinking skills to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable pieces. I also seek out different resources and perspectives to gain a well-rounded understanding. It's important to stay persistent, ask questions, and be open to learning from mistakes.