Proving Identities and Double angles problems

In fact, in one of the problems you can do it in multiple ways.The main thing is that you need to use the identity sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1 to do it.In summary, the conversation is about proving identities involving trigonometric functions. The problems involve manipulating and simplifying expressions using trigonometric identities and converting everything into sines and cosines. The conversation also mentions the importance of using parentheses correctly and clearing denominators. The key to solving these identities is often working with only one angle and using the identity sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1.
sens_freak_18
I've been working at proving these identites and I just can't seem to figure them out, some of them just come to me others I work on them for 10 mintues or more and just get more and more bogged down.:frown:

1) csc2x + cot2x = cotx so far i have
1/sin2x + cos2x/sin2x = cosx/sinx
1+cos2x/sinx = cosx/sinx

2) cos^2x + 4cosx + 3 = cosx + 3 so far i have
4cos^2x + 3 = cosx + 3

3)1+cosx/1-cosx - 1-cosx/1+cosx = 4cotxcscx so far i have
1+cosx/sin^2x - sin^2x/1+cosx = 4cosx/4sinx*1/sinx

4)cos^2x-csc^2x/cot^2x = sin^2x - sec^2x so far i have
cos^2x - 1/sin^2x/ cos^2X/sin^2x
cos^2x - 1/sin^2x * sin^2X/cos^2x
cos^2x - 1/cos^2x
cos^2x - sec^2x

5) 1 + sec^2x + cot^2x/ csc^2x = sec^2x

1+ 1/cos^2x + cos^2x/sin^2x/ 1/sin^2x = 1/cos^2x

6) sin(x+y) + sin(x-y)/cos(x+y) + cos(x-y) = tanx
I have absolutely no clue what to do with this one, I've tried changing the left side to cosxsiny+sinxcosy and stuff like that but it just doesn't come to me

Thanks for any help given to me, I really need some and greatly appreciate it!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, you need to learn how to use parentheses correctly:

[tex]
a + b / c + d = a + \frac{b}{c} + d
[/tex]

but

[tex]
(a + b) / (c + d) = \frac{a + b}{c + d}
[/tex]

Secondly, I see you're converting everything into sines and cosines: that's usually a good thing.

But you're missing two other easy steps:

(1) Clearing denominators.

For example, in order to prove

[tex]\frac{a}{b} = \frac{c}{d}[/tex]

whenever it is defined all you have to do is to prove

[tex]ad = bc[/tex]

whenever both b and d are nonzero. (it's okay to prove this holds even when b or d are zero)

(2) Working with only one angle.

In a lot of these, I see that you have trig functions with different arguments. E.G. in the first one, cos x and cos 2x both appear. You can often fix that.

I can understand the frustration and difficulty in proving identities and solving double angle problems. These types of problems require a lot of practice and understanding of the fundamental trigonometric identities. It is important to approach these problems systematically and use known identities to simplify the given expressions.

For problem 1, you are on the right track. You can continue by using the identity: cos2x = 1 - sin2x. This will help you simplify the expression and reach the desired result.

For problem 2, try using the identity: cos2x = 1 - sin2x and then factor the resulting expression to reach the desired result.

For problem 3, use the identity: 1 + cosx = 2cos^2x/2 to simplify the expression and reach the desired result.

For problem 4, try using the identities: cos^2x = 1 - sin^2x and csc^2x = 1 + cot^2x to simplify the expression and reach the desired result.

For problem 5, use the identity: sec^2x = 1 + tan^2x to simplify the expression and reach the desired result.

For problem 6, you are correct in trying to use the sum and difference identities for sine and cosine. You can also use the identity: tanx = sinx/cosx to simplify the expression and reach the desired result.

Remember to always start by simplifying the given expression using known identities and then use algebraic manipulation to reach the desired result. Don't get discouraged if some problems take longer to solve, it just takes practice and patience. Keep up the good work!

1. How do you prove trigonometric identities?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you need to manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic and trigonometric properties until it is equivalent to the other side. This involves using identities such as the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, and double angle identities.

2. What are some common strategies for solving double angle problems?

Some common strategies for solving double angle problems include using the double angle formula, rewriting the expression in terms of sine and cosine, and factoring out common terms.

3. Can you use a calculator to prove identities and solve double angle problems?

Yes, a calculator can be a helpful tool for proving identities and solving double angle problems. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts involved in order to effectively use a calculator.

4. What are some tips for remembering trigonometric identities?

One tip for remembering trigonometric identities is to practice using them frequently. It can also be helpful to understand the relationships between different identities and how they can be derived from one another. Another tip is to create flashcards or other study materials to help with memorization.

5. How do you know if an identity is true?

An identity is true if both sides of the equation are equivalent for all possible values of the variables involved. This can be verified by substituting in values for the variables and simplifying both sides to see if they are equal.