Help finding good books/websites

• Thread starter danny12345678
  • Start date
In summary, Dan is considering a career as an electrical engineer. He is looking for help in brushing up on his electronics skills and is interested in any resources or websites that may be of help. He recommends the current edition of the NEC as well as some courses at MIT. Finally, he recommends reading a book cover-to-cover to get a good grounding in basic electronics.
danny12345678
Hello,

I just recently graduated with my bachlor's in mechanical engineering. One of the possible career paths I'm heavily considering also does much work on the electrical side of commercial building. Basically since I'm an ME my electronics skills are a bit rusty and I'd like to start brushing up on these skills as well as the lingo/language used with in this field before I actually start (they also offer classes to aid in this but I'd like to start out now). So if anyone has any good websites or books they may be of aid to me I'd truly appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org
danny12345678 said:
Hello,

I just recently graduated with my bachlor's in mechanical engineering. One of the possible career paths I'm heavily considering also does much work on the electrical side of commercial building. Basically since I'm an ME my electronics skills are a bit rusty and I'd like to start brushing up on these skills as well as the lingo/language used with in this field before I actually start (they also offer classes to aid in this but I'd like to start out now). So if anyone has any good websites or books they may be of aid to me I'd truly appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Dan

Any suggestions? It be much appreciated...

danny12345678 said:
Any suggestions? It be much appreciated...

Buy a copy of the current version of the NEC.

CS

danny12345678 said:
Hello,

Thanks,
Dan

Go to http://ocw.mit.edu" [Broken] and go through some of the EE courses. Some even have video lectures. Also, I remember Berkeley had a few good video lecture sets for EE. I forget the url, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
join orkutcom, its an online community and than search for Engineer Books, lots of websites with a lot of books

stewartcs said:
Buy a copy of the current version of the NEC.

I agree. It's pretty boring reading, but it's the bible for commercial electrical installation rules and practices.

This is the basic electronics book that I recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521370957/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Read it cover-to-cover, and you will have a good, practical understanding of basic electronics (both analog and digital electronics). It's one of the common 1st year EE texts.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some good websites for finding books?

There are many great websites for finding books, depending on your interests and preferences. Some popular options include Goodreads, BookBub, and Amazon. These sites allow you to browse and search for books, read reviews, and even join online book clubs. You can also check out websites specific to your favorite genres, such as Romance Writers of America for romance novels or Mystery Writers of America for mystery books.

2. How can I find books that match my reading level?

One helpful website for finding books that match your reading level is Book Wizard by Scholastic. Simply enter the grade level or reading level you are looking for, and the site will provide a list of books that fit that criteria. You can also use the filters on websites like Goodreads or Amazon to narrow down your search by reading level.

3. Are there any websites that recommend books based on my interests?

Yes, there are several websites that use algorithms to recommend books based on your interests and reading history. Goodreads has a "Recommendations" feature that suggests books based on the books you have read and rated highly. Other options include Book Riot and What Should I Read Next?

4. How can I find books by diverse authors?

Websites like Book Riot and We Need Diverse Books have curated lists of books by diverse authors. You can also use the "Advanced Search" feature on websites like Goodreads to filter by author gender, race, and ethnicity. Another option is to follow book bloggers and bookstagrammers who specifically focus on promoting diverse voices in literature.

5. What is the best way to discover new books?

One great way to discover new books is by following book bloggers, book reviewers, and bookstagrammers on social media. They often share their favorite reads and provide honest reviews. You can also join online book clubs or participate in reading challenges, which can introduce you to new books and genres. Finally, don't be afraid to ask friends and family for recommendations or browse through the "New Releases" section on book websites.