Cartesian equation of plane that i perpendicular to plane and contains line

Keep in mind that the vector <3, 2, -1> is already a direction vector for the line, so you don't need to use it in a cross product again. Just use it in the dot product with the normal vector <1, -2, 1> to get the Cartesian equation.
craka

Homework Statement

Question states "The plane that contains the line r=<-2,4,3>+t<3,2-1> and is perpendicular to the plane r=<5,0,0>+s<2,1,0>+t<-1,0,1> is:"

Answer is y+2z=10

Homework Equations

Cross product and dot product of vectors

The Attempt at a Solution

I found a vector normal to the plane r=<5,0,0>=s<2,1,0>+t<-1,0,1>

by doing the cross product of the two direction vectors is <2,1,0> x <-1,0,1>
getting <1,-2,1>

than apply rule of n.v=0 ie <1,-2,1> . <x-(-2), y-4, z-3>
to get x+2-2y+8+z-3=0
and so x-2y+z = -7

Not sure what I have done wrong here, could someone explain please?

Physics news on Phys.org
craka said:

Homework Statement

Question states "The plane that contains the line r=<-2,4,3>+t<3,2-1> and is perpendicular to the plane r=<5,0,0>+s<2,1,0>+t<-1,0,1> is:"

Answer is y+2z=10

Homework Equations

Cross product and dot product of vectors

The Attempt at a Solution

I found a vector normal to the plane r=<5,0,0>=s<2,1,0>+t<-1,0,1>

by doing the cross product of the two direction vectors is <2,1,0> x <-1,0,1>
getting <1,-2,1>

than apply rule of n.v=0 ie <1,-2,1> . <x-(-2), y-4, z-3>
to get x+2-2y+8+z-3=0
and so x-2y+z = -7

Not sure what I have done wrong here, could someone explain please?
You found a plane that has normal vector <1, -2, 1>? Then you found a plane that is paralllel to r, not perpendicular to it!

By doing the cross product of the direction vectors of r=<5,0,0>+s<2,1,0>+t<-1,0,1> am I not find a vector perpendicular to the plane?

Yes, that is correct. But in your form x-2y+z = -7, the vector of coefficients, <1, -2, 1> is perpendicular that this new plane. Since it was also perpendicular to the original plane, the two planes are parallel.

Should I than from finding vector <1, -2, 1> do the cross product of it and the direction vector of the line <3,2-1> and than try and find the Cartesian equation of plane ?

craka said:
Should I than from finding vector <1, -2, 1> do the cross product of it and the direction vector of the line <3,2-1> and than try and find the Cartesian equation of plane ?

That should work.

What is the Cartesian equation of a plane that is perpendicular to another plane and contains a given line?

The Cartesian equation of a plane that is perpendicular to another plane and contains a given line can be found by first finding the normal vector of the given plane and the direction vector of the given line. Then, using the point-slope form of a line, the equation can be written in the form Ax + By + Cz = D, where A, B, and C are the components of the normal vector and D is the dot product of the normal vector and a point on the given line.

How do I find the normal vector of a plane?

The normal vector of a plane can be found by taking the cross product of any two non-parallel vectors in the plane. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to both of these vectors and will therefore be the normal vector of the plane.

What is the point-slope form of a line?

The point-slope form of a line is y - y1 = m(x - x1), where m is the slope of the line and (x1, y1) is a point on the line. This form can be used to find the equation of a line passing through a given point with a given slope.

What is a dot product?

A dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding the products together. In the context of finding the Cartesian equation of a plane, the dot product is used to determine the value of D in the equation Ax + By + Cz = D.

Can the Cartesian equation of a plane be written in different forms?

Yes, the Cartesian equation of a plane can also be written in the form Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the components of the normal vector and D is the negative dot product of the normal vector and a point on the plane. This form is known as the standard form of a plane's equation.