Electromagnetic energy is not Gauge invariant?

In summary, the gauge transformations in electrodynamics leave the electric and magnetic fields unchanged while the electromagnetic energy density is proportional to the sum of the squares of the electric and magnetic fields. However, the energy density can also be written in terms of the potentials and charge distributions, but it is not necessarily gauge invariant. This is because gauge fields couple to conserved currents, and the energy-momentum tensor is not conserved without the inclusion of dynamical fields that cause the currents. In the absence of sources, the total energy and momentum are gauge invariant, but in the presence of sources, the sources must be included in the dynamical description for gauge invariance to hold.
JustinLevy
I assume I am making a mistake here. Can you please help me learn how to fix them?

In electrodynamics, the gauge transformations are:
[tex]\vec{A} \rightarrow \vec{A} + \vec{\nabla}\lambda[/tex]
[tex]V \rightarrow V - \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\lambda[/tex]

These leave the electric and magnetic fields unchanged. The electromagnetic energy density is proportional to:
[tex] u \propto (E^2 + B^2)[/tex]
So the energy density should be gauge invariant. A gauge transformation shouldn't even shift it by a constant.

However, the energy density can also be written in terms of the potentials and charge distributions as:
[tex] u = \frac{1}{2}(\rho V + \vec{j} \cdot \vec{A})[/tex]

If I let [itex]\lambda[/itex] = e^(-r^2), then V is unchanged, and A is just changed by a radial field which vanishes at infinity. Here, the energy density IS changed, and not by a constant amount either ... it changes by an amount depending on j. What gives?

Even weirder, is some textbooks start with the potentials form to derive the fields form. I don't see any place they fix any gauge in doing such derivation. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
JustinLevy said:
I assume I am making a mistake here. Can you please help me learn how to fix them?

In electrodynamics, the gauge transformations are:
[tex]\vec{A} \rightarrow \vec{A} + \vec{\nabla}\lambda[/tex]
[tex]V \rightarrow V - \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\lambda[/tex]

These leave the electric and magnetic fields unchanged. The electromagnetic energy density is proportional to:
[tex] u \propto (E^2 + B^2)[/tex]
So the energy density should be gauge invariant. A gauge transformation shouldn't even shift it by a constant.

However, the energy density can also be written in terms of the potentials and charge distributions as:
[tex] u = \frac{1}{2}(\rho V + \vec{j} \cdot \vec{A})[/tex]

In any gauge field thory, It is a very important to understand that gauge fields couple to CONSERVED current [itex]\partial_{\mu}J^{\mu} = 0[/itex], if you use this you find

[tex]A_{\mu}J^{\mu} \rightarrow A_{\mu}J^{\mu} + J^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} \lambda[/tex]

or

[tex]\int d^{3} x \ \delta (A_{\mu}J^{\mu}) = \int d^{3} x \ \partial_{\mu} (\lambda J^{\mu}) = 0[/tex]

regards

sam

samalkhaiat said:
In any gauge field thory, It is a very important to understand that gauge fields couple to CONSERVED current [itex]\partial_{\mu}J^{\mu} = 0[/itex], if you use this you find

[tex]A_{\mu}J^{\mu} \rightarrow A_{\mu}J^{\mu} + J^{\mu}\partial_{\mu} \lambda[/tex]

or

[tex]\int d^{3} x \ \delta (A_{\mu}J^{\mu}) = \int d^{3} x \ \partial_{\mu} (\lambda J^{\mu}) = 0[/tex]

regards

sam
I wanted to talk about the electromagnetic energy density (proportional to [itex](E^2+B^2)[/itex]), but you have instead talked about a relativistic scalar density (proportional to [itex](E^2-B^2)[/itex]). Therefore I am not sure how to relate your response back to the original question. Are you saying [itex]A_{\mu}J^{\mu}[/itex] is gauge invariant but the electromagnetic energy density is NOT?

I understand that
[tex]\partial_{\mu} J^{\mu}=0[/tex]
because it is a statement of conservation of charge. But I don't understand why the following is zero for every possible J or lambda
[tex]\int d^{3} x \ \delta (A_{\mu}J^{\mu}) = \int d^{3} x \ J^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \lambda = 0[/tex].

Let's try just a simple circulating current, and a lambda polynomial in x and y:
[tex]\vec{j} = y\hat{x} + x\hat{y}[/tex]
[tex]\lambda = xy[/tex]
noting that for this choice
[tex]\partial_{\mu} \lambda = y\hat{x} + x\hat{y}[/tex]

Looking at the result:
[tex]\int d^{3} x \ J^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \lambda =
\int d^{3} x \ (y\hat{x} + x\hat{y}) \cdot (y\hat{x} + x\hat{y}) \neq 0 [/tex]

So that doesn't seem to be gauge invariant either!?

JustinLevy said:
I wanted to talk about the electromagnetic energy density (proportional to [itex](E^2+B^2)[/itex]), but you have instead talked about a relativistic scalar density (proportional to [itex](E^2-B^2)[/itex]). Therefore I am not sure how to relate your response back to the original question. Are you saying [itex]A_{\mu}J^{\mu}[/itex] is gauge invariant but the electromagnetic energy density is NOT?

[itex]A_{\mu}J^{\mu}[/itex] is the interaction Lagrangian. It is not proportional to the free electromagnetic Lagrangian [itex]E^{2} - B^{2}[/itex]. Why do you need to worry about the gauge invariance of energy density or even the momentum density? There are no fundamental reasons for requiring them to be gauge invariant! The quantities that we measure are ENERGY and MOMENTUM. Therefore, they must be gauge invariant. I will show you this below.
I was trying to tell you that the EM interaction is gauge invariant because its change reduces to a hepersurface integral

[tex]\int d^{4} x \ \delta (A_{\mu}J^{\mu}) = \int d^{4} x \ J^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \lambda = \int d^{4} x \ \partial_{\mu}(\lambda J^{\mu}) = 0[/tex]

Assuming there is no current at infinity, the last integral vanishes since it can be changed to a surface integral at infinity.

If [itex]J^{\mu}[/itex] is treated as externally given source, then the canonical energy-momentum tensor

[tex]T^{\mu\nu} = \frac{1}{4} \eta^{\mu\nu} F_{\sigma \rho}F^{\sigma \rho} - F^{\mu \sigma} \partial^{\nu}A_{\sigma} + \eta^{\mu\nu}A_{\rho}J^{\rho}[/tex]

will have the following undesirable properties

1) It is not conserved:

[tex]\partial_{\mu}T^{\mu\nu} = (\partial^{\nu}J_{\sigma})A^{\sigma} \ \ (1)[/tex]

Notice that T is conserved in the absence a current,i.e.,free electromagnetic field.

2) It is not gauge invariant. Indeed, it changes like

[tex]
\delta T^{\mu\nu} = \partial_{\sigma} (F^{\sigma \mu} \partial^{\nu} \lambda + \eta^{\mu\nu} J^{\sigma} \lambda ) - J^{\mu}\partial^{\nu} \lambda \ \ (2)
[/tex]

This "problem" stays with us even in the absence of sources;

[tex]
\delta T^{\mu\nu} = \partial_{\sigma}\left( F^{\sigma \mu} \partial^{\nu} \lambda \right)
[/tex]

However, in this case, the apparent violation of gauge invariance is no reason for concern because the change in T is a total divergence, which upon integration leads to a surface term, making no contribution to the total (measurable) energy-momentum 4-vector of the EM field;

[tex]
\delta P^{\nu} = \int d^{3} x \delta T^{0 \nu} = \int d^{3} x \partial_{\sigma} ( F^{\sigma 0} \partial^{\nu}\lambda}) = \int d^{3} x \partial_{j} (F^{j 0} \partial^{\nu}\lambda) = 0
[/tex]

Thus, even though the energy density [itex]T^{00}[/itex] and the momentum density [itex]T^{0j}[/itex] ARE NOT gauge invariant, the total energy [itex]P^{0}[/itex] and the total momentum [itex]P^{j}[/itex] are gauge-invariant quantities.

To resolve the above two problems when [itex]J_{\mu} \neq 0[/itex], the sources must be included in the dynamical description, i.e., our complete theory must include the dynamical fields which cause the currents. For example, Dirac's fields in the current [itex]J^{\mu} = \bar{\psi} \gamma^{\mu} \psi[/itex] .
These matter fields will contribute to the total energy-momentum tensor on the LHS of eq(1) & (2), whereas the RHS of eq(1) will vanish and the RHS of eq(2) will again be a total divergence leading to a gauge-invariant energy-momentum 4-vector. It is a good exercise to do the calculations on the QED Lagrangian

[tex]\mathcal{L} = i\bar{\psi} \gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\psi -(1/2) F^{2} - J_{\mu}A^{\mu}[/tex]

Try it.

regards

sam

Last edited:
samalkhaiat said:
Assuming there is no current at infinity...
Ah, okay. That is why my "counter-example" fails.
The rest of what you wrote makes sense as well.

Thanks for your help.

1. What is electromagnetic energy?

Electromagnetic energy is a type of energy that is carried by electromagnetic waves, which are a combination of electric and magnetic fields. This energy is responsible for many natural phenomena, such as light, radio waves, and X-rays.

2. What does it mean for electromagnetic energy to be gauge invariant?

Gauge invariance is a principle in physics that states that the physical laws should not depend on the arbitrary choice of a mathematical representation. In the case of electromagnetic energy, this means that the laws governing it should not change when we change the units or reference frame used to measure it.

3. How does gauge invariance affect our understanding of electromagnetic energy?

Gauge invariance is a crucial concept in the study of electromagnetic energy because it helps us develop a consistent and universal understanding of its properties and behavior. It allows us to formulate equations and theories that are valid in all reference frames and units, making it easier to make accurate predictions and experiments.

4. Can you provide an example of how gauge invariance applies to electromagnetic energy?

One example of gauge invariance in electromagnetic energy is the famous equation E=mc², which relates energy (E) to mass (m) and the speed of light (c). This equation is gauge invariant, meaning that it is valid regardless of the units or reference frame used to measure these quantities.

5. Are there any exceptions to the gauge invariance of electromagnetic energy?

While gauge invariance is a fundamental principle in the study of electromagnetic energy, there are some exceptions to this rule. For example, certain phenomena, such as the quantum Hall effect, violate gauge invariance, leading to new and interesting discoveries in the field of physics.