Linear Algebra Basics: Finding a Basis for Subspaces in R3"

In summary: So in this case, you would need to find three linearly independent vectors that satisfy the given condition. The vectors you provided are not sufficient for a basis as they do not span the whole subspace. In summary, the conversation discusses finding a basis for a subspace of R3 where the components of all vectors must sum to zero. The basis must include three linearly independent vectors that satisfy the given condition. Two possible approaches for finding a basis are also mentioned.
Alex6200
Hi, I had a basic linear algebra question

Question #1

Homework Statement

Find a basis for the subspace of R3 for which the components in all of the vectors sum to zero.

Homework Equations

If u and v are in w and w is a subspace, then a*u + b*v is in w.

The Attempt at a Solution

w = {v in R3 : v1 + v2 + v3 = 0}

Okay, so let's say you have Ax = b, where the column space of A is the basis B, and b is a vector which is in w.

I really don't know how to work with this problem beyond that. I can imagine a basis looking something like:

[1, 0, 0], [0, -1/2, 0], [0, 0, 1/2]

Because if you add those vectors together, all of the components sum to 0. And those are indeed linearly independent. But I don't know if those are the right basis vectors.

Thanks,

Al.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex6200 said:

Homework Statement

Find a basis for the subspace of R3 for which the components in all of the vectors sum to zero.

Homework Equations

If u and v are in w and w is a subspace, then a*u + b*v is in w.

The Attempt at a Solution

w = {v in R3 : v1 + v2 + v3 = 0}

Okay, so let's say you have Ax = b, where the column space of A is the basis B, and b is a vector which is in w.

I really don't know how to work with this problem beyond that. I can imagine a basis looking something like:

[1, 0, 0], [0, -1/2, 0], [0, 0, 1/2]

Because if you add those vectors together, all of the components sum to 0. And those are indeed linearly independent. But I don't know if those are the right basis vectors. No, a basis of three vectors would span the whole space R3.
Call the subspace described in the problem W.

If v = (x, y, z) is in W, then x+y+z=0. One equation, three unknowns => 2 parameters, so let y=s, z=t. Then we have v = (-y - z, y, z) = (-1, 1, 0)s + (-1, 0, 1)t.

(Note that the condition that x+y+z=0 for each v=(x,y,z) in W is equivalent to saying that W is the perpendicular subspace of span(1, 1, 1).)

Or, slightly different approach, since v1+ v2+ v3= 0, v3= -v1- v2. Let v1= 1, v2= 0 so v3= -1. We have (1, 0, -1). Let v1= 0, v2= 1 so v3= -1. We have (0, 1, -1). Those are basis vectors. That's not the same two vectors as Unco got but there are an infinite number of different bases for this subspace.

Oh, so when he says "Find a basis", he doesn't mean find all of the bases, he just means find a single vector in the basis?

So if I had another question "Find a basis for a subspace of R3 in which all vectors satisfy:

(1 1 0) v = 0

Then I could just give a vector like:

(-1, 1, 0) and then say that I found a basis?

Oh, so when he says "Find a basis", he doesn't mean find all of the bases, he just means find a single vector in the basis

It means find all of the vectors in a single basis

1. What is a basis in linear algebra?

A basis in linear algebra is a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. This means that any vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

2. How do you find a basis for a subspace in R3?

To find a basis for a subspace in R3, you need to first determine the linearly independent vectors in the subspace. Then, these vectors can be combined to form a set of basis vectors that span the subspace.

3. What is the process for determining linear independence?

The process for determining linear independence involves setting up a system of equations using the vectors in question. If the only solution to the system is the trivial solution (all variables equal to 0), then the vectors are linearly independent. Otherwise, they are linearly dependent.

4. Can a subspace have more than one basis?

Yes, a subspace can have more than one basis. This is because there can be multiple sets of linearly independent vectors that span the same subspace. However, all bases for a given subspace will have the same number of vectors.

5. How does finding a basis for a subspace help in solving linear algebra problems?

Finding a basis for a subspace can help in solving linear algebra problems because it allows for a more efficient and organized way of representing vectors in the subspace. By using a basis, complex problems involving the subspace can be broken down into simpler calculations using the basis vectors.